Author Topic: milk in cups  (Read 1064 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
milk in cups
« on: May 07, 2011, 14:54:29 pm »
We are not quite into toddler mode - just a few weeks. So, if I should move this, let me know. ;)

C 11 months and has been using a sippy for water since 6 months.  He generally sips it a few times and then throws it. ::)  I have been giving him formula in the middle of the day for a few weeks now (in the cup.)  He really has no interest in drinking it this way and will wait for the bottle. I am nervous for this transition, since it seems that he really loves his bottles.  Surprisingly, this was an easy transition with my first LO.

Any tips?
Kara

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: milk in cups
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 15:30:32 pm »
Trying a different type of cup? Stan would NOT drink milk from a free-flow sippy but would take it without a problem from a sippy with a valve (so he had to suck like he did from a bottle or boob).

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 15:47:31 pm »
We took Matthew's bottle away about 5-6 weeks ago and he basically does not drink milk anymore. It's almost comical - at night when he starts fussing around his old bottle time we ask if he wants milk in a cup. He will hopefully but jokingly ask "boooo" (his word for bottle) and we say no in a cup and he usually says no and that is that. Once in a while when he REALLLLYYYYY wants it he'll drink a couple ounces from a cup (and we've tried many different ones) but it seems he really liked the actual bottle more than the milk itself.

DD was easier - she loved milk from a straw cup (and she had a particular one she became attached to) from about 11 months on - she was totally off bottles by 13 months easily. But she was a milk hog and never used her bottle as a comfort item (she was a thumb sucker unlike DS).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 16:33:38 pm »
Thanks ladies.

We are currently using a cup with a valve.  I wonder if I should just get a few different cups and see if he takes to one of them.

Karen, my Matthew is the most difficult kid with transitions (as you know ;) and he took to the sippy easily.  He chewed the tops off his bottles and we said we weren't buying new ones.  Gave him his milk in a sippy and that was it.

I think C likes the sucking aspect.  Wouldn't that be the same with a valve cup?
Kara