Author Topic: still allergic to breast milk?  (Read 5926 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: still allergic to breast milk?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:20 am »
Do you have a proper paed GI involved here?? I would be worried that something else is amiss here rather than just food intolerances.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:15 am »
She has been seen by a private paed - he only thought she had reflux and couln't really say anything to the mucousy poo issue at all. On the other hand, the allery paed thought it was purely food intolerances but didn't like the food chemical intolerance when I suggested it.

I agree that she was better on the first diet. I am inclined to go back to that though the problem is that I don't think she is only food chemical intolerant - I think there are multiple issues here. She was windy after eating beans and lentils and onion family. Peas seemed ok. So this really doesn't leave me with much.

How does this look:

rice, rice bread, rice cakes, gluten free pasta, gluten free buiscits, maple syrup
potato, lettuce, brussels spouts? (again a windy food), celery, garlic, swede
carrots, peeled cucumber or zucchini, sweet potato, beetroot - only one of these only once a day?
peeled pears - 2 a day

Am I getting enough nutrients here? Any other suggestions? Is pregnacare safe to take? I thought parsnip was moderate...

Don't worry about pulling my diet apart, that's the whole reason I posted it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:37:40 am by bjutka1 »
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:44 am »
Are there any signs of food chemical intolerance as opposed to other protein intolerances? Something to look out for that might make it easier to identify.
But I mean, what else could it be? I feel I really have given up so much.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:10:12 am »
Has she had her IGE antibodies and IGG tested?    That is a good indicator of whether it is a protein intolerance - something that triggers an immune response. But I think that these antibodies can also indicate problems areas like  gluten/wheat.  To be honest I don't know a great deal about that.  But these are all tests that a paed or GI would do.

Food chemical intolerances aren't an immune system response.  As far as outward symptoms are concerned I  don't think there is a great deal of difference.

Salicylate symptoms are typically: red cheeks, rashes, red burnt bottom, sore tummy, reflux, broken sleep, wired, hard to settle mucus poos, loose poos.  Kai only got the mucus poos and had slight red cheeks at 3 months old.

ok so a take on those windy foods - when I asked my dietician about those she asid the food chemical sensitive babies often have a problem with the windy foods because they have a "goopy gut" - those where her words!  She means that the onion family/leeks/brussels/cabbage  contain natural sulphur and if cooked too long release alot.  Sulphur causes gas.  If the gut is sensitive the sulphur will cause problems.     The lentils are a prebiotic and also cause gas so these should be firstly soaked for 8 hours before eating, and secondly eaten in small quanities at first.  They are ok to introduce when their gut is faring a bit better.  Kai tolerated them all well around 8 months old.

As for the foods they all look ok - do you still have the charts I sent you?  There are more foods to eat listed there.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 11:26:31 am »
My problem is that all lists are sooo different. Like the one my dietitian gave me differs greatly from the one you sent. And I don't know if it's because it's a different area (UK) or just a wrong list. What other foods would you suggest?

Bamboo shoots - ok
beans -can't have cos it's windy
brussel sprouts - windy
cabbage - windy
celery - ok
chives - wouldn't really fill me
choko - don't think we can get it here plus it's windy
garlic - only very little is ok
leek - windy
shallot- windy
swede - ok

100 gr of moderate isn't very much twice a day...

Altogether she is a lot happier than before but sleep is a big issue.

Does neocate not have sals? Or would that defo work?

Thanks

To answer your question, only a skin test was done and that all came up negative.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
What was the list your dietician gave you for though? Was it one for low chemical diets?? He diet sheet will vary depending on what the actual aim of the diet is.

You really need to pick a diet and just stick to it I think  :-\.

Neocate is the gold standard alternative for odd sensitive children. There is no better.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42:47 am »
ok just to clarify, Kai tolerated all the windy foods in MY diet fine from about 4 months old onwards.  I made sure to cook everything less than 5 mins so much sulphur wasn't released.     If you have to eliminate windy the diet really isn't feasible or do-able  :-\  Not sure where this leaves you in terms of Ed's  :-\

The brussels are pretty important for the vitamins.  You can eat fresh salmon as a moderate serve for your essential fatty acids.  

All I can say is my list is tested annually and by a world leading allergy unit.  I guess you would need to check the currency and sources ??  They may be current and reputation and it may be genuine variations in chemical content due to differing soils and conditions.

100g or one cup.

As far as I know the neocate is low food chemical.  My dietician suggested a neocate trial, I couldn't imagine her suggesting something that is not low chemical.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:30 pm »
Thanks. Gonna ring the dietitian to find out about the list and how up to date it is. It was a sal list she gave me. There are some major discrepancies there: on my list, onion is low!
Salmon is defo no go. I tried it once and we had a terrible night! Diarrhoea all night long.
Are homemade chips okay? Or can they not go brown like meat either?
Also, how about the gluten free pasta? That has rice and corn flour in it. Is corn flour not high in sals?

It's so depressing. Just don't understand why she is so sensitive. I really don't know where to go from here. I'm scared of everything I eat...

Would pregnacare be okay for the vitamins?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:15:46 pm by bjutka1 »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 21:00:44 pm »
Hi, Looks like you are getting loads of help so just wanted to drop off some hugs and say you are doing brilliantly.  It is SOOO HARD doing these diets - esp if you are not seeing the results.
xxx

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:10 am »
Wanted to throw out the idea of eosinophilic colitis being the issue.  This would explain why the reflux meds didn't work well for LO as they work at the top end of the digestive tract, and why LO has a lot of lower end issues (gas, mucously poops etc)
I know you are sick of being to doctors, but did wonder if a paediatric GI might be where you will get the best answers. 

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 08:15:36 am »
Hi - I thought about this (it's also called EE isn't it) but there is no way to really deal with it apart from ED or neocate, am I right? Os is there something else?

I kept pushing for a paed GI but I'm not getting anywhere. Without a failed neocate trial they're not gonna give me one... :(

Offline EloysH

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:36 am »
Quote (selected)
Are homemade chips okay? Or can they not go brown like meat either?
Also, how about the gluten free pasta? That has rice and corn flour in it. Is corn flour not high in sals?

Yes they are as long as they in low chemical oil without synthetic antioxidents.  The browning process is only relevent to proteins, a chemical process happens with the amino acids breaking down and thus amines develop.

Gluten free flour is often high sals usually die to maize flour - corn flour though is low sals amazingly.   ;D  Something about the amount of processing takes the sals out and also  its usually derived or made from maize starch which is low.  So maize starch is low, maize flour is high. ::)

Gluten free pasta from rice and cornflour should be fine.

I think that is mean about not letting you get a paed GI without a neocate trial.  >:(  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:42:44 am by EloysH »

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:44 am »
Eosinophilic colitis is treated with either ED or neocate - does your LO get bleeding in poop? Colitis gives blood and mucous as well as tummy aches.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:02 am »
No blood but mucous and tummy pain, yes.

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 14:20:34 pm »
Have the docs done a blood in poop test to look for microscopic amounts of blood? 
EE is eosinophilic oesophagitis/esophagitis (depending on where you in the world)

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d