Author Topic: diminishing milk supply??? 7mo  (Read 1357 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
diminishing milk supply??? 7mo
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:23 am »
Hi, I'm not sure whether or not to be worried, even after reading the helpful FAQ - so here goes...

I've been breastfeeding DS for 7mo, no problems to begin with, he was putting on weight really rapidly although lost some between 3 and 5mo - I think because he'd got so plump and just needed to lengthen out again, certainly the HV wasn't at all worried. He's gaining again now and on solids since 5.5mo, pretty much on 3 decent meals per day - not big ones but I think about right for him at the moment.

I'd never pumped until about a month ago when I wanted to get DS onto a cup for the occasional feed. At first I was pumping about 4oz but then got up to 6oz. I pump during the first feed of the day - DS only uses one side per feed so I pump from the other at the same time. I only pump at the weekends and then DH gives a cup feed later in the day, usually the 2nd feed. I used to get 6oz in about 15-20mins, including time for dealing with DS coming off or wanting to play with the pump! Most of that is collected within the first 10mins. But this morning, after 30mins I was shocked to discover I'd only pumped 3oz  :o  After another 30mins using both sides I finally managed to collect just under 6oz for the cup feed. But I'm worried that my supply might have dropped and that maybe DS isn't getting enough milk.

He used to feed for a good 10mins straight and then get distracted and be on and off but I'd be able to encourage him to go back on in the end to take some more. But recently I haven't been able to get him back on and sometimes he's only on for about 5mins, especially for the bedtime feed, which is closer to the previous feed. Oh yes, forgot to say, he's on 4 daytime feeds, 4+ hourly until the bedtime feed which is more like 2h+ especially if he hasn't had a catnap - plus a dreamfeed, which is more leisurely and takes 20-30mins. When he feeds from the cup, apparently he only takes about 5-7mins to almost finish it (there's always a little at the bottom that he can't get), that's a valved cup. So at first I thought maybe he had just got more efficient and he's finishing his feeds more quickly, so I stopped trying to encourage him to take more after about 10mins. He's also recently started eating more solids - again, at first I thought he was still having the same amount of milk, since I always give milk first and then solids 45-60mins after. But now I'm wondering if it's at the expense of the milk...

I know the FAQ says not to worry about taking a yield, but what do you think? Going by what I can pump from one breast, my morning supply has halved! I'm wondering about pumping from both sides (after DS has finished) and getting DS to feed from both sides for every feed when I'm at home for the next few days to try and increase my supply - do you think that would be a good idea or might that be unnecessary? We're going away for a few days in less than a week and I'll have to pump a few feeds then so I want to get this sorted before...

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: diminishing milk supply??? 7mo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 21:43:11 pm »
Is your DS unsettled? Wanting fed more often? Has there been any changes to his nappies or sleep?
I would probably take these more as a sign of supply than what you get on the pump. I've heard quite a number of times on these boards that after a while mums seems to be able to pump less; women who were pumping loads suddenly start getting way less on the pump.
Is there any particular reason why you single side feed? That would be an option if you want to increase your supply, the question is: will your LO want it? if so, then just go for it, it'll probably give you a bit of reassurance.
xxx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:33:18 am »
Thanks Tay - sorry, when you say 'that would be an option' do you mean switching sides? I've been trying this from yesterday and he'll have a little suck but not really very much.. oh but then again I was pumping from the other breast for all feeds yesterday so maybe there wasn't really anything left on the other side?

DS is no more unsettled than usual, he's never been a good napper so hard to tell if there are changes! BMs have definitely been getting less frequent and more solid... but then he's started taking more solids recently so I'm not sure if it's just that or if it's also a sign he's not getting enough milk - this is something I've wondered about. He hasn't passed 'pellets', but then he'll often go a few days without one at all so we do give him a lot of laxative fruits, especially prunes.

I'm very keen to be able to express a full feed with the pump, there are a few occasions coming up where I'll have to do this at the morning feed, however this doesn't seem to be happening at the moment... Any suggestions? I'm still not sure whether it's just a pumping issue or a supply issue. As I said, I used to be able to express 6oz from one side in the morning with DS feeding from the other. Yesterday I spent about an hour pumping and put DS on both sides too and eventually managed to express a little under 6oz. The second feed was from a cup, using this 6oz. For the third feed I pumped again and eventually got 4oz but this again took a long time. I also pumped on the last feed but was unable to get even 1oz (although it was much closer to the previous feed). This morning I spent 45mins pumping until there was really nothing left, I was completely dry from both sides (including DS feed) and got just under 5oz. So I guess I'm planning to do lots of pumping and switch feeding over the next few days and see if it helps...

There's no particular reason why I single side feed, just always wanted DS to 'finish' one side before the other to get the hindmilk etc and he never wanted the other side anyway.

Offline Tay

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 20:49:20 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying, work has been mad the last couple of days.
sorry, when you say 'that would be an option' do you mean switching sides?
Yes, that's what I meant, but tbh, from what you're saying it doesn't really seem like your supply is diminishing it does sound more like it's a pumping issue.

I never really managed to get a lot pumping, always had to do over two or three pumping sessions to get one feed (unless of course DS missed a feed for whatever reason, but even then I couldn't pump a full feed). I could actually even feed DS AFTER pumping!!! Full feed too.
But what you're doing sounds exactly what I would have done - pump one side and feed the baby on the other over a couple of feeds. But as I said before, it is pretty common to be able to pump less as time goes on.

If you want to increase your supply to see if you could pump more you could think of including a pumping session at night, or take fenugreek.... what do you think?

HTH
xxx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 13:00:16 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me, Tay - I've been away so only just got this now. Well I pumped during the morning feed for a few days in a row and finally managed to get back to 5-6oz which seemed to work for the feeds I needed DS to take the expressed milk for... In fact he didn't even take all of that, sometimes only 2-3oz?? That was for the third feed of the day, which is usually the shortest and I keep it that way to try and ensure he'll take a good bedtime feed, which can be quite close to dinner. But now I'm starting to worry that he's not taking enough milk any more since he's suddenly taking a lot more solids! There's always something ::) But that's interesting what you say about sometimes having to pump over a few feeds to get enough for a full feed... just really hard to know what 'enough' actually is! Given that he took so little for those mid-afternoon feeds from the cup (whereas he can guzzle down 6oz mid-morning), do you think that's just an indication that he doesn't take much during that feed anyway and if so, do you think that's a problem? Only just about to start phasing out the dream feed now, so he's still on 5 feeds. Thanks!

Offline Tay

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 21:11:22 pm »
Yes... there's always something... ;) And apparently it's like that until... forever!!!
TBH I think your LO is fine, but does seem to be showing signs of needing one less feed a day.
Usually whenever the LOs are well established on solids (which your DS is, right?) you would phase out and cut the DF, so effectively your LO is getting an extra feed at the moment - which is not a bad thing, especially if he's sleeping well at night.
I wouldn't worry about the amounts, I would just feed until your LO is satisfied, some days might be more, some days less. Just think about it like this: do you always want to eat the same amount? No,I would guess, some days we just seems to be hungrier than others.
You might notice that as you phase out the DF he'll take more at that pm feed.
HTH
xxx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 20:04:12 pm »
Ok thanks! Starting to inch that DF forward from tonight... and looking forward to getting to bed earlier myself :)

Offline Tay

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 21:22:01 pm »
Keep me posted and get some rest!!! ;)
xxx