Author Topic: Suddenly nursing less!  (Read 2015 times)

Offline babyboy26

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Suddenly nursing less!
« on: May 18, 2011, 18:48:20 pm »
Hi!  DD is almost 3 mos (just a few more days!) and has gone from nursing 15-20 min on each side to nursing 5-10 min each side.  On the first side, after 5-10 min, she pops on and off, on and off.  I can't get her to stay on, so I then burp her and offer the other side.  She then does the same (sometimes less time) on the 2nd side.  I am worried that she isn't getting enough, or that my supply is diminishing? 

Kara :)

Offline babyboy26

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Suddenly nursing less!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 21:30:03 pm »
She does seem satisfied, as she smiles and plays just fine after.  Diapers are fine, and she doesn't appear to be nursing more often than normal.  This started yesterday.

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 18:54:20 pm »
I remember the exact day this happened with us.  he was taking 20 min feeds, then all of the sudden it was 7 minutes one feed.  I had a little panic as well....but really, he had just became efficient, taken what he needed, and was too interested in doing something else!  I think they get more efficient at drinking, and also don't need as much suckling and therefore don't spend as much time on the breast.  Watch for diapers and sleep patterns (if waking hungry) but my guess would be she's gotten faster, and enjoy more free time!

Offline babyboy26

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 19:08:19 pm »
Thanks, sensfan and Emily!

She did it all day yesterday...every feeding and seemed fine.  She did, however, wake up at 2:45 to eat, when she has normally been waking between 4 and 5.  She has continued with this same nursing pattern so far today as well.  I definitely hear her gulping, and when she is done the 2nd breast, she is DONE.  She smiles up at me and wiggles all around.  It's almost as if she is hurrying up to eat so she can play.  It does worry me that she was up earlier in the night, but diapers have still been ok.

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:32 am »
Have a read of this too :) http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65904.0

There is a GS somewhere around 3 months/12 weeks, so it is possible she is hitting that and the extra NW is due to that. It can sometimes correspond with them getting more efficient at eating, and during the GS they will want to eat more often for a few days/nights. HTH
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline babyboy26

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 13:22:48 pm »
Thank you so much for that link!!!  I didn't think about the growth spurt!  We are 12.5 weeks, so it looks like that might just be where we are!!!