Author Topic: ideas for hiding fruit please  (Read 1199 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
ideas for hiding fruit please
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:56 am »
DS2 is teething so going thru some food refusals, current being refusing his fruit (except pear puree). he can only have pear, banana and pawpaw (papaya) due to food intolerances so it's already rather limited and i need some ideas to keep sneaking it in to him. so far i've used it in or added it to -
banana bread
banana or pear muffins
banana or pear pikelets/pancakes
rice pudding (with banana or pawpaw)
banana sandwich/toast
will accept a small amount of mashed banana but not pawpaw

i'm hesitant to put it in his yoghurt as he tends to start refusing things if i change them and he really needs this for his calcium intake.

would welcome any other ideas please :-*

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: ideas for hiding fruit please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:41 am »
Hi,
How's the weather down there? If it's still warmish you could try and blend some fruit, those that he can eat and freeze them. Do you know these funny ice cubes trays with shapes like hearts and stars, you couls use these, or you could get a popsicle tray and make home made popsicles for him.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:06 am »
Ooh yes, we do homemade fruit ice lollies as well!  What about in breakfast?  Lewis has weetabix/porridge and will eat it with any fruit I mix into it. 

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:30:20 am »
it's just started getting cold here but he is always trying to sneak ice out of the freezer so will def give the frozen fruit a try.

and good idea in the cereal karen, maybe if i just mess with one type of cereal in case he starts refusing it because i've changed it. weetbix is prob the stronger flavour for hiding it so will try that

guess i can give him milkshakes too, he still has 3 milks a day so could try that with his lunch one.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:08:25 am »
I give my DS fruit-juice based shakes (instead of juice). I take maybe 4-6 ounces apple juice, 12-14 ounces water, a banana, 8 strawberries (or sometimes 30-40 blueberries instead) and an avocado and blend that up. It makes enough for two days and DS thinks it's just juice and LOVES it and drinks it throughout the day (I keep diluting it down to extend it). Gets LOTS of good stuff into him. Sometimes instead of avocado I use tofu for added calcium and protein.

In your case maybe you could do it with pear juice, banana and fresh papaya blended up with water?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:52 am »
In your case maybe you could do it with pear juice, banana and fresh papaya blended up with water?

that would be fabulous!! gosh i love bw as sometimes it's the simplest ideas that you just cant see for yourself, lol. he's actually never had juice before of the high salicylates content but i bet he'd love this, will see how it goes x