Author Topic: what toys do your 2.5-3 year olds currently play with and enjoy?  (Read 12967 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
jeez - me again... :P

I would really appreciate seeing what other kids of this age like to play with. Part of our issues are that H finds it very difficult to play with anything by himself but I am wondering whether what we have is age related - maybe too young for him?? Getting a bit desperate as he just wants to put the TV on constantly.

I am starting to think that I need to back away and almost make him play by himself as otherwise we just go through about 20 activities, none of which he sticks with and I end up exhausted and fed up...like today.

Yes he might be bored but I do not have endless supplies of money or space and even when I do buy something new the novelty wears off so quickly and we are back to the same situation.

So any ideas for toys/activities your lo's like would be great - fed up :(

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
Re: what toys do your 2.5-3 year olds currently play with and enjoy?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 15:43:56 pm »
My son is recently into monster trucks and matchbox cars.  And I found he likes ramps so you can make your own ramps for him to drive the cars up and let them slide down, seems to keep his attention a fair amount.

Stickers... he spent a half hour putting a page of stickers on the couch the other day.  I bought him a $1 notebook and told him next time he has stickers he can put them there.

It might help to know what you tried that does not hold his attention so we can see if our kids do anything different.  Like, if he doesn't like to color then maybe he'd be more into building a fort to play in with blankets?

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 15:46:50 pm »
Yes, it would be helpful to know what you are currently playing with that doesn't hold his attention.  Our favs here are Fisher Price little people sets, trains/cars etc, shape sorters, wooden puzzles...and all are where Spencer can get out herself and choose what to do. 
Heidi

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 15:46:57 pm »
painting DS loved that at that age also lego blocks and trains
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 15:49:37 pm »
well he has a garage and a train set but not interested. He has a sticker book but 5 mins tops is all we get with that and that is with me helping. Play-doh he likes but again short lived.
I am sure he would like ramps for a bit and I could try that, same with building a fort but I am kind of looking for just a few things he could maybe do by himself. I bought him a play tent and he had it up for the first time yesterday but again not bothered unless DH or I instigate a big game with it and tbh I really need him to do just a few things a day by himself - even 20 mins would make me happy.
I am more than happy to play with him and I do a lot as I am at home but it is starting to drive me crazy that at 2.5 he still rarely just plays with anything for more than about a minute.

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 16:29:12 pm »
Puzzles seem to have a big pay off, you put in a lot of time up front helping them but if his personality is "me do it" then soon you might find that he'll want to do it without your help.  I'm thinking interactive stuff, something with a payoff.  Even the ramps sort of provide a payoff of some kind in being able to step back and watch what happens and how he can affect what happens.

He probably needs something to do inside the tent, if that makes sense?  My child likes to poop in his but thats another story  ;)

My nephew took his train set and turned it into a home for his dinosaurs.  Sometimes toys take on a new meaning.

I totally get what you mean about independent play though.  I like to play with my LOs and see their creativity but sometimes I'm just not into pretendingand make believe if that makes sense.  My 2 year old is pretty demanding too.  He'll play alone from time to time but most of the time he's going from one behavior that needs supervised (or stopped) to another without a break inbetween.  He is why baby proofing was invented LOL.  It is fun, and exhausting, depending on the day and how recently you had a chance to have an adult conversation.  Plus, its good to find new creative ideas for the kids regardless.

So, my son has discovered the computer.  There are safe sites to visit where he is able to do some simple point and clicks to find a song or video to watch over and over and over and over and over... you get the idea.  I think he's more impressed he's figured out how to make it play by himself then he is about the song.  The problem is he asks to do it all the time so I actually had to turn the computer off for a few days until he lost interest, he was quite insistant for awhile and while he's independent with it I still needed to be with him to make sure he didn't accidentally crash the computer LOL.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 16:41:47 pm »
Becky, my friend's dd is spirited and sounds just like Henry in that she too had an attention span of about 2 minutes. What the toy or activity was made no difference, she just couldn't stick at anything.

My dd Sophie is her best friend and it used to cause clashes as Sophie would be playing happily with something and her friend would be ready to move onto something else all the time. Neither could understand the others point of view!

I think this age was the worst time for it, it has definitely not been so pronounced as she has grown older (5years now). I think the structures activities they had at preschool really made a difference. Does H go to nursery?
Hugs, it would drive me mad too. xxx
]

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 17:00:10 pm »
yes he goes for 2 short mornings thank goodness! I am so worried about what he is going to be like when this baby arrives as it takes full on parenting from me just to manage a day at home. I think you are probably right in that whatever we had he would lose interest but I end up feeling so guilty that he has so little he is really into and it does not help that some of our friends kids just seem to have 'everything' and we really do not have space or money for it all. Having said that I would be more than happy to buy a few extra bits IF he was going to get use out of it.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 18:07:19 pm »
Are you looking for strictly indoor stuff or would outdoor work too?  Right now the sandbox is the best thing ever.  T will play in that all day if I let him.  But he really likes sensory things, so for inside sometimes I do a small tub with some water and cups (just put towels down, everything does get wet but it's only water!), or bowls and spoons with dried beans/pasta for scooping. 

Cars and trucks are always a winner here for both boys.  I think ramps is a great idea!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 18:15:24 pm »
Neither of mine particularly plays with anything, and they are rubbish at independent play and concentrating.  They play with each other a lot - although that's not much use to you for another couple of years! :P

A couple of things which hold E's attention for a little bit: colouring (or scribbling, to be perfectly accurate), play doh, dressing up, puzzles and books.  She will play with water for a long time, though - we have a water table outside, and sometimes when I am feeling particularly strong I will let her play in the bathroom! - and the trampoline keeps her going too.  In all honesty, though, I don't expect her to entertain herself for more than a few minutes at a time - M never did at this age either, but she is much better than she was.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 18:17:58 pm »
Hmmm, both my boys will entertain themselves for long periods of time!  Are they weird I wonder?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 18:38:32 pm »
With the TV one thing I have had to say here is that if I am not going to play WITH him and am allowing him to choose what to play with and how to amuse himself, then I have to accept that TV is probably going to be the choice.  If I don't want him watching TV then I have to work to keep him suitably amused and interacting with me.  I think it is a lot to ask of a 2.5 year old to choose something to do but then rule out TV, kwim? 

Like Jill we also have the computer here as an option!  Doesn't matter what I say, he pulls out my laptop turns it on, opens the internet, clicks on the bookmarks and does what he wants!  It did not take long for him to learn!  I have youtube bookmarked in the bookmarks bar and he knows to click on it. For the longest time i had to get him started (trains, bin trucks, police cars, etc) and then he chooses one from the list of what is available next.  He can go in a stream for a good 15-20 minutes before the questionable videos start appearing (ie train crashes, and the other day he was watching with DH and I heard him say "mama says no watch this one" - he knew that was one I said no to earlier because it is a crash one, so he has learned quickly!)  He also plays kneebouncers, which is no longer free but for 12 quid per year very much well worth it here!  Sesame Street is another one he plays on.

Ditto to Martina with the texture play - I put out a large bedsheet and dump some rice and lentils on it, get out some yogurt pots and spoons, some of his cars or his sand toys and he will play quite a while.  I do have to play with him to start him out, and go to him every few minutes and drive a few trucks around but I really think that is what you have to do with this age.  And after we are done, yes there is rice ALL over the room but it just takes a quick vacuum and it is worth it for the play he got.

I stand him on a chair or his high chair at the kitchen sink with a sink full of water, some pots, some cups, a wire whisk, the pasta collander and flour seive and he will play for ages (30-45 minutes).  I can cook dinner, get things done in the kitchen or sit and read the paper.  Free :)

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 18:48:09 pm »
Duplo. 

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 19:09:25 pm »
With the TV one thing I have had to say here is that if I am not going to play WITH him and am allowing him to choose what to play with and how to amuse himself, then I have to accept that TV is probably going to be the choice.  If I don't want him watching TV then I have to work to keep him suitably amused and interacting with me.  I think it is a lot to ask of a 2.5 year old to choose something to do but then rule out TV, kwim?

absolutely agree Mashi but I am not expecting him to entertain himself when the TV goes off, I am happy to play with him but he is the same if I try and instigate something. YES I do think learning to play by himself is an important skill but I really do have alternatives when I say no TV. This is a double sided problem, there is the lack of ability to play independently but also the lack of interest when I play with him. Guess I need to be more imaginative but I can't do that all day. We go out a lot, we do a lot of things, he is not expected to sit at home and self entertain. I just need to find a balance. TV is fine but not all the time.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 19:24:47 pm »
What happens when you let him watch TV? Do you think some of it is jut for the sake of the fight? I mean, you tell him no TV and so it makes it more enticing?  I find that DS gets bored of TV after 15-20 minutes, too, which then makes him all the more willing and able to focus on whatever it is that I am playing with him, because he has had his alone time, his boredom time and is now wanting to be interactive iyswim?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:02:38 am »
Jumping in as my DS is younger but similar in many ways. TBH, DD was this way too and sadly, nothing we did made it better until she got older. Being outside is the one thing that seems to help - he has a much easier time playing nicely outside!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:23 am »
The only thing that holds Ben's attention for any length of time is matchbox cars (and the tv!).  I'm presuming Henry has lots of these though?  Most are DH's old ones, and ones we've picked up from charity shops - so really cheap so he's got a huge box.  We've got a playkitchen, brio (well, ikea) trainset, puzzles, painting stuff, stickers etc and he really won't play with them for more than a few minutes at a time.  But if we give him a tray of uncooked rice then he will happily drive his cars through for hours and make up stories.  That has been one good thing about TV actually, that it's given him characters and role play ideas - so the cars are often chuggington characters and they're always rescuing people  :P.  Is he into that sort of thing?  If not, could you start him off by doing some role play stuff with his cars so that he can carry it on?  Not sure if it really works like that though  :-\

Other thing that has helped us is buying a storage system from ikea so that most stuff is out of sight most of the time - he is much more interested in something when he hasn't seen it for ages.  (although still won't necessarily play with it for long!)
Claire x

Offline Mashi

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
Claire that is what happens here, too! DS will watch episodes of Thomas (he much prefers the old style ones that were not animated but more moving figures?) Like this one   Trouble in the Shed   and I think because they are more like his toys,rather than animated, it helps him to re-create with his own cars and trains. He does love to make them go down hills too fast and crash, to put rocks in the way and knock the trains over, etc etc.  If I put a DVD on for him (I have three DVDs each with 50+ episodes of the old style Thomas!!!) and set up his train he plays more than he watches, but he doesn't feel he is alone, he feels he is a part of the trains on the TV and makes his own games up to go along with what they are doing on the TV, if that makes sense?   

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 18:53:33 pm »
H loves the Thomas books and DVD's but he could not care less about his Thomas Duplo train set. I cannot think how many times I have tried to set it up with him and then have him not want to play with it. It is the same with his garage that we bought for his birthday. He likes it but has never really played with it for long.

Clare - he 'quite' likes cars but his big love is anything to do with farm machinery so tractors, diggers, combines...he knows 'everything' about them it seems! We do have quite a few bits and pieces of farm machinery and he will spend ages outside with the gravel, sand and earth just moving them about but when I give him pasta inside to do the same he is not bothered. He is such an outdoor boy!

I thought about buying him some more farm bits like a barn and some pens?? We are in the process of sorting out a trampoline for him too.

Mashi  -I signed up to kneebouncers today so hope that will keep him occupied for a bit too.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 19:08:56 pm »
Hi Becky!

At this age, Oscar loved Bob the Builder and Thomas (still does but in another way now). We had all the Bob lego (2nd Christmas, Name Day, 2nd Birthday and Children's Day with us, grandparents and babcia we were done) and I'd build them for him, build a house and a few more bits and leave at least another two activities - like some simple puzzles (he had some textured ones from Boots from a trip to the UK at that age - Emma likes them now) and his beloved cars (also DHs hand-me-downs) and I'd leave the room. In saying that, he was a great independent player from very, very early...just was, no training involved. Was/is very spirited but also likes to be left alone.

Emma is the total opposite - she will potter from one thing to another, loves real things - sieves, bags, shoes, old make up cases or empty bottles of shampoo, facecream, dress up, hats, scarves etc and she LOVES singing. She's always had SOMEBODY around - always. Never been "taught" to play alone as Oscar has always been by her side, or me, or the childminder or DH - Oscar the chronic EWer at least had to keep himself occupied from 5.30 to 6.30am most days from age 2-3 LOL! And I remember last September (Emma aged 1 yr 9 mths) when Oscar started football practice on Sat mornings...I thought, yay, me and my little toddler will get LOADS done in the house when the lads leave. I tried to put her in the cot to play alone while I washed the downstairs floor (its a small flat - the whole ground floor is 60 sq.m max so it would take me all of 10 mins) but she just screamed....

Some kids just aren't made to play alone....some are. For when no2 comes, have lots of mess-free (relatively) activites close to hand - new ones - aquadraws, magic colouring books, simple threading activities with shoelaces and big chunky beads, play doh, puzzles etc. We used two boxes like this for early days with Oscar and Emma as a twosome. Of course, if all else fails, Henry could always decorate your windows with a box of breast pads!!! Oscar did this one winter's evening....loved tearing the labels off and sticking them on!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 20:20:46 pm »
Mashi  -I signed up to kneebouncers today so hope that will keep him occupied for a bit too.

We spent a lot of time playing it together at first! Not just teaching him the pysical bit of how to navigate it, but in making the games fun, iykwim?  So there is one my DS calles "eyes" and after about 20 clicks the lights go out and you can only see their eyes. We talk about the eye colours, etc. Then the lights come on and he knows he has to click until the bear slides down the pole, and the next click the lights go off again (hard to describe but if you play it you will see what I mean!) So when DS asks for the lights to go off I can be washing dishes or cooking and just ask him what does he have to do to get the lights to go off - he will say "click until i see bear!" and then he his happy, kwim? There is a dog race one, he LOVES.  We sit together and choose which dog will win and then cheer when it us one of us who wins.  But we have had to play together a lot to get him to enjoy it alone. I now can sit him at the kitchen table and get that game open and while I am cooking dinner as long as I am choosing my dog and shouting the odd "go blue dog!" then he is happy and sees that as playing "together." Aside from the fact that my DH has joked we need to give him pieces of pasta and teach him how to bet on the dogs ::) he has learned a lot of vocab, colours, etc from the different games. But they are not totally 100% "alone" activities just that I can multi-task and give him 50% attention iykwim!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 20:50:10 pm »
Haven't read through everything but DS likes...

Cars, emergency vehicles (esp. with lights ::) )
He has a wooden train set and trains which he's just started to not get frustrated with
He has farm and zoo animals which tend to live (together!) within a megablock construction
He likes painting and drawing - he has an easel which has a white board so I conveniently got him some white board pens ;) Large pieces of paper stuck onto a wall with water colours has been amazing while we have been decorating
He also has a water table which is simply the best toy when the weather is good.

I would say he's only really started to play for longer periods in the last 6mths so maybe H just needs some more time?
LAURA xx

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 20:55:36 pm »
we got a plasma car. boy.... even i love it hehe  actually it was me who wanted it and when i saw in on flea market, i jumped on it :P    You don't need to upgrade, like a bicycle to suit the age/weight/height, etc.  It can hold me and DS or DH and DS together hehe.  

I see TV being mentioned.  Can you shed some light on how much tv your LOs get please?  I have a thread on this.  :D  

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 21:25:39 pm »
Clare - he 'quite' likes cars but his big love is anything to do with farm machinery so tractors, diggers, combines...he knows 'everything' about them it seems! We do have quite a few bits and pieces of farm machinery and he will spend ages outside with the gravel, sand and earth just moving them about but when I give him pasta inside to do the same he is not bothered. He is such an outdoor boy!

I thought about buying him some more farm bits like a barn and some pens?? We are in the process of sorting out a trampoline for him too.

I would totally take this as your starting point then - get him a tray of gravel for indoors that he can use, or popcorn kernels, or even sand if you can bear the mess (get a big plastic sheet to keep it all on), some more little animals, make a mat to be a farm with different textures that he can drive his toys on (brown corregated card for ploughed field, some green scouring pads for grass, some sand paper, etc etc).  Pretty much with Ben he will play with cars in the sandpit, cars in the kitchen sink, cars in the bath, cars on his railway track  :P, cars in the gravel outside (spot a theme  ;)?!), so if you get H some more farm/tractor type stuff I'm sure this would be money better spent than trying to guess other things he might like when really that's all he's into iyswim?
Claire x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 07:25:42 am »
I would totally take this as your starting point then
I agree.  Get him some life like farm animals, O also has frogs which he'll play with in water.  Get some "pens" and fences which he can build himself, tractors *with trailers* are also a big hit here too.  O likes to fill the trailers and cart them around.  A friend of mine uses butter beans as "gravel"
LAURA xx

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:41 am »
Haven't read every post but DD is similar. She wants TV a lot and to avoid that I have to plan activities or send her outside. Our yard is fenced and she has a castle thing with a slide, some tricycles, one of those cars you move about with your feet, shovels, a watering can, etc. She can play outside for ages. I leave things out like sidewalk chalk and let her draw on the sidewalk/driveway/our front porch ;).

She likes bubbles and sand and mud and anything messy.

When inside, she will read books and go up to play in her playroom, etc. (there is a bed and she often ends up jumping on it! LOL) But she inevitably wants TV OR youtube. She LOVES videos on youtube. Particular faves are: We're going on a bear hunt, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, videos of dogs or cats doing tricks....etc. OH and fisher price has a site with easy games. She loves them. She also loves to just type her letters!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 10:01:37 am »
I must be doing something wrong with the water table as he has one but he does not play with it and will just get mud and put it in and tip it all out so loads of muddy water all over the place - not much fun after the third time...
I set up an easel for him but seriously, I know painting is messy but he just put paint everywhere...on his toy car, on his bike and mixed up everything to just be a mud colour. I can cope with mess to a certain extent but that just seemed destructive really and I cannot be cleaning everything up all day atm.

So...will get him some farm animals and pens and we will do more farm stuff. Claire - sand in the house! Yikes, that would just be crazy with H. I like the butter beans idea though.

thanks everyone x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 20:33:37 pm »
O's water table has a little train which runs round the edge and has various things for pouring water into.... however I add washing up liquid for bubbles you can add food colouring too
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 06:21:54 am »
good idea about the bubbles - thanks!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 06:31:15 am »
I must be doing something wrong with the water table as he has one but he does not play with it and will just get mud and put it in and tip it all out so loads of muddy water all over the place - not much fun after the third time.

I would need to be with my DS and play with him even in a water table in order to keep him entertained by it.  I think maybe for Henry it is not about the specific toy but about needing someone to play with him, kwim? I know that doesn't help in a lot of ways but if you find that is the issue then at least can reduce the frustration of searching for what it is that he wants.   My DS has a water play thing for boats which he LOVES and will play with for 2 - 3 hours and be upset when the play is done, but if I set it up for him to play with alone he plays for 3-4 minutes before he tries to dump it and throws the boats.  He just wants someone to play WITH him, kwim?

Offline babybarr

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:12 am »
He just wants someone to play WITH him, kwim?
O used to be like this but has definitely matured in the last 6mths and now will play more independently so Becky I would just try and encourage it, I'm sure it'll come!!
LAURA xx

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 09:05:00 am »
Well I was reading your thread wondering what my DS will likely be into when he gets a bit older. But it seems like probably mostly the same stuff as right now judging by what you are all talking about.

I've found toy libraries and toy hire places to be great when you want to change up their toys without having to spend a fortune and also not having to store everything once they get bored of it. I'm not sure if they have that kind of thing set up in your area?
We typically get a new toy once a month and take back the old one when we get the new. The prices are pretty reasonable and a fraction of what you'd have to pay for it from the shops or even second hand.

My DS loves to explore everything which includes taking things apart and examining all sort of things. He just loves mechanical things and has a set of cogs that stick to the fridge which he loves, will spend ages standing there arranging them and pushing them together and watching them turn and turn each other. He is also just sooooo interested in the inside of toys - their motors and stuff. DH gets out the screw driver and takes something apart and he'll be engaged for half an hour or more. Even just taking out batteries and putting them back in.

I think dont be too afraid to give them things that you think might be "too old" just because it says 3+ on the box. (All the good toys say that LOL) If your DS is bored of Duplo why dont you try for the older age lego? We give our 18mo the normal lego for 5-12! He loves it. Perhaps he needs to stretch his skills a bit more and needs a new challenge.

If your DS likes farm tracktors and those sorts of mechanical things then try to find something that has good moving parts that are a bit older. I know the brand Catepillar have some decent toys - replicas of the real thing, although thats mostly diggers and dumptrucks but maybe you can find a John Deere equivalent?

My DS is obsessed with the iPad and also loves watching youtube on it. Luckily for us (so far!) he associates his entertainment watching only with the iPad and not so much on the TV.

Oh here's another thought - dare I say it - what about a Nintendo Wii? They've come down in price a lot lately, and they're actually not a bad workout for indoors! If your DS loves the TV then the Wii is at least a more "active" option than just sitting and watching. You might be creating another monster, but it would probably buy you a bit of time for the new baby!!! ;)  The best part about the Wii is that you really dont need alot of games, the sports one (and also sports resort) that usually comes with it have lots of different sports games in it that I'd bet wouldnt take much for a 2.5yo to learn. Generally you just need to wildly shake the controller. hehe

Dont get me wrong though, normally I wouldnt advocate computer / consol games for a 2.5yo but I realise you've only got a short amount of time to find a few good options before #2 gets here! HTH
-Cathy-

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
thanks Cathy - some great ideas here.
Yesterday was not good. I was in my p-jams and trying to do a puzzle with him at 8am just so he would be not watching TV and so I would not feel guilty about emptying the dishwasher (!) He was not particularly interested and then in the pm we had a playdate where his behaviour was shocking - would not settle to anything at all and just trying to dig up DH's veg, snatching toys off his friend which he then did not want to play with etc :(
Anyway, had to go out later and DH was with him. When I came back he said 'you probably don't want to hear this but he played by himself for quite a while after you left'
So....the problem may be me...

Offline babybarr

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 13:34:21 pm »
So....the problem may be me...
Maybe he's used to you playing with him *a lot* (which really isn't a bad thing) perhaps you could do the 5mins thing - I'll play for 5mins and then I have to do the dishwasher and then I'll be right back and just do it!  He'll create I'm sure but as long as you keep your word and go back he'll (hopefully) learn some more independent play.  I've had to do this with O too.
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 14:54:34 pm »
yes I think I need to do this Laura....I have always tried to play with him a lot as he has always been like this even as a baby but it is clearly not really helping. I think I might try a timer so he can actually see that I will play until the timer goes off and then I have jobs to do. I just don't want him to then go and turn the TV on every time.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 15:48:55 pm »
We have a red wagon...when dd was younger we filled it with sand, but then later we got a huge bag of pea-gravel....(tiny round stones usually used for landscaping) and we filled the wagon with the stones...she LOVED it!!  Some spoons, some cups, some plastic animals to bury....kept her bust for a LONG time!! Plus, it could be broguht inside too.

Also...a bucket of water and a paintbrush...she would "paint" my car, the stones we have around our house....could paint a patio or walkway as well...then it evaporates and you can paint some more! 

Offline babybarr

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 18:48:38 pm »
Get him to start by helping you with some jobs.  O loves to dust (well a piece of kitchen roll and lots of polish!) and likes to help with the washing and dishwasher.  When I'm cooking I'll often give him a saucepan and pots and things - doesn't always work but worth a try as well.

I would also do the timer so he knows when you're coming back - even if it means you haven't quite finished I think he may need that reassurance and also you can use that to encourage him not to turn on the TV (perhaps unplug it? :P )
LAURA xx

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 19:27:57 pm »
I do not have endless supplies of money or space
charity shops/freecycle! you can get new things and pass on things he doesn't use .... or ask a friend to do a swap??

looking forward to reading whole thread in a min

we are into cars, etc here - def agree that LOs seem to play for longer when left alone (that's my excuse for being on BW during the day!!!) - Murray likes me to be near him but not necessarily joining in ....

p.s. I think it's quite normal to go from one thing to next quickly at this age (I get Murray to tidy away toys as he goes though or the house becomes chaotic!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 19:36:22 pm »
quickly read other posts - couple more thoughts:
we have the tv on as background noise (he doesn't seem to watch it but moans if it goes off)

there are lots of "toys" you can make - Murray loves playing bowling with plastic drinks bottles and a ball (the bottles were filled with various items like pasta, as shakers!!).

he also LOVES helping with the housework (ie loading machine, then pressing "on" button, etc ... in fact now when there is a mess on the floor he will go and get dustpan and brush and attempt to sweep it up!!)

I found the more pregnant I got the lazier I wanted to be, so I would tell Murray that I would watch him and it seemed to work (meant when Oliver arrived he was used to sharing me!), as long as I was near him
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 19:37:47 pm »
Again, I am a lucky mum whose DD has always played well by herself. But last year, she absolutely loved our home made road and train track. We had an old IKEA cardboard box from some furniture (it opened up to about 2m x 2m when flat) and together with a box of wax crayons we designed it ourself. With kids, you don;t need to be an artist :P So we made a big rail track in the centre, a road around the edge, a paddock for her Little People farm and horses, a forrest, a picnic blanket with food she chose to be drawn on it, and over the next 6mths or so we have added a water tower for the trains, street lights along the road, a petrol pump swimming pool etc etc! She loves that it is hers and she can help it to change. In the beginning she wanted to scribble on it when we were colouring it, so we only get the crayons out when we are together and she tries so hard to colour in nicely. It isn't at all to scale, but she doesn't care, all her toys of different sizes play on it. AND it folds in half and slides under our rug to be out of the way!

It was a great way to sit together for 30mins and then I could get up and leave her to it for ages. Maybe he would be more into it knowing he has helped do it?

I love Claire's suggestion for different textures stuck on!
Andi

Offline Mashi

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 19:47:30 pm »
That's awesome Andi!!!!  Fantastic idea!!

Today I gave DS a clean jam jar and lid and a handful of mixed coins.  He played with it for a good hour without bugging me!  Dumped the coins onto the lid, held them up one at a time and dropped them into the jar to make the loudest noise he could, put them in and shook them, sorted them into piles, etc etc.  Cost me nothing cause I get my coins back at the end of the day!

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:23 am »
We do most of the fun things mentioned--sand table,water fun (inside the house).

Sometimes I try yo engage them in whatever "chores" I have to do then-- make Lunch with me, make a pretend lunch for your baby or dianasour.  Help me make dinner.  If i need to mop (dust) the floors I give them their own switfer that is shortened so they can help. Can they help you empty the dishwasher if you move the unsafe items first?  Can they type on an unconnected keyboard if you need to send out one important email.  Can you tell me the story of this book while mommy look at this important piece of mail? I bought a kids ironing board at target for about three dollars.  Kf we need to iron, I get out their iron, doll clothes, and some hangers and they iron along with Me.  We have a play vacuum.  Or, we have a little one (dust buster with a handle) that was "free" with our vacuum.  If i need to vacuum my kids will often use this vacuum that doesn't do a whole lot.

I am working on getting them to identify their feelings-- do you need some cuddles?  Do you need some additional attention from mommy?  Tell me so i can help you and you know how you are feeling.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:43 am »
he is not interested in 'play' things really. He wants to use the real hoover etc which is fine and I let him. Lots of things do not hold his interest like they do other kids, he is always looking for 'more' iykwim. It is partly a spirited thing I think and he is bright and acts completely different to other kids his age. I think being very pregnant is not a good combination and hopefully when I can move about better and don't feel constantly sick and tired I will be more creative and we can try and sort this out.....thanks for the tips though. We need to clean today so will try and involve him more and I like the idea of painting outside and the coins and jam jar xxxx

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 07:44:42 am »
Remember to tell him you are tired and need to sit down quietly and will watch him - maybe the less you do with him the more he will do himself? Remember, when you are really tired to use the TV etc as that is something you can do together that doesn't tire you out.  I was never going to let Murray watch TV and as a baby he didn't but now .....

Offline Om in Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Louisa, mum of a 2 and a 3 year old.
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 17:50:14 pm »
How do you do water play in the house? My kids really love it, and I sometimes let them "wash" the veg when I'm cooking, but I have to only let them have a little water or else it gets really wet around here... Any other ideas? Thanks in advance :)
Just a calm mum wannabe, muddling on through... My blog is at http://theominmom.blogspot.com/

Offline Mashi

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 18:18:19 pm »
I generally pull up a chair to the kitchen sink and DS stands on it and plays in the sink. I used to use his highchair so he could not fall off, not we just use a regular chair.  Yes, he gets water everywhere, but floors and counters wipe up easily. 

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 18:32:27 pm »
Water play- in the kitchen we have one sink with two sides.  I can have both my kids stand at the sink and play.

The other thing I do is empty a plastic bin of toys and put water in there.  I put down a water proof sheet, towel down, bin, and lots of toys. 

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2011, 18:36:11 pm »
When we do water play I just let them get on with it and accept that I am going to have to mop afterwards.  I generally reckon that it is worth it for the entertainment they get out of it.