Author Topic: HAF and turning 1  (Read 1077 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
HAF and turning 1
« on: May 10, 2011, 18:48:05 pm »
Did anyone actually keep their Los on a HAF for a while longer after turning 1?  C will be 1 at the end of the month.  We get the formula by prescription and of course we are just about to run out.  The last time we filled the prescription was in January.  So it has lasted 4 months.  I know if I fill it we are going to have an enormous amount of formula.  Is there a need for me to switch over to milk?

We did rice milk/ coconut milk for DS#1.  I would probably do the same or an almond/coconut milk combo for him, since we trialed yogurt recently and it didn’t go well.  I don’t want to try soy yet.  Yet, I am wondering if there is a reason to rush to switch?
Kara

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: HAF and turning 1
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 19:26:56 pm »
I don't think you need to stop the HAF yet. My ds was on it for a long time. He was still having it as his main milk substitute at age 5 due to multiple food allergies and a food aversion. James still has multiple food allergies but is eating a much wider variety of foods so he does not need the formula now. I am sure there are other lo's that have bee on it longer than age 1.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 20:11:03 pm »
We were actually told to stay on it until he was 18 months. We did switch to a formula meant for older babies/toddlers though, and had to do a mixing of the old one and new one until he got used to the taste.  In terms of nutrition, they do make different concoctions of it that are suitable right through toddler and childhood years. Maybe ask your paed for a script for something that is meant for an older baby or toddler?  In terms of filling the script when you take it to the pharmacy can you ask for just half of the number of tins and that way if you change your mind or he outgrows it, it does not go to waste, but if you do stay with it you can just go back to the pharmacy and get the other half, iyswim?

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
Re: HAF and turning 1
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 18:04:15 pm »
Thanks ladies.  Here is another question.:  Is there any harm to offering rice milk/coconut milk 2 weeks early, rather than getting more formula for 2 weeks?
Kara

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 18:11:09 pm »
Not a medical opinion just a personal one, but I see it that nothing magical happens on their birthday, kwim? I guess my own way would be to go a bit longer rather than a bit earlier, but depending on what situation I was in, I wouldn't see a big deal with a couple of weeks.  As I said we were told to stay on formula and not to a milk-challenge until 18 months, I did it at about 14 months or so just because of our situation (label reading in a foreign language was a total PITA!) and my DS was fine...I think it is just balancing out the info you have and choosing, if that makes any sense!