Author Topic: How much TV time for 2.5yo?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« on: May 13, 2011, 19:25:30 pm »
Just wondering how much TV time your LOs are having at this age.  

TIA, Koe xx

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: How much TV time for 2.5yo?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 20:15:35 pm »
too much I would think!!! Will listen in x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 20:25:37 pm »
My DD1 went through a phase, shortly after DD2 was born, of watching SO much tv, no doubt as I was using it as a babysitter ::) She was a right telly addict and would happily sit there for waaaay too long. I didn't discourage it because it was making my life easier  :-[
Anyway, now she barely watches it at all, even when I really want her to so I can get stuff done!! The kid doesn't sit still ::) I reckon across the whole day now she watches 30 mins max, if that. I know it sounds awful but sometimes I wish she would just sit still and watch something :P
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 20:30:56 pm »
Charli my DS is outgrowing TV too!! We only have Playhouse Disney in English and it is the same episodes over and over.  Now, when Mickey Mouse comes on and says "Wanna come inside my clubhouse?" DH says "uuuuuuhhhhhh, NO!"  PMSL!  I can get his attention with the German kids channel for about 10-15 minutes when I am having a shower but only if it is animal cartoons because he seems to think that it is normal to not understand what animals say, but if it is people talking German he just laughs at them ::)   

When the TV is on, he is usually only giving it 50% attention. Full attention, probably an hour a day or so? 20minutes in the morning, 20 minutes at lunch and 20 minutes before bed, watching ITNG or a German bedtime cartoon.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 20:46:05 pm »
When I'm home on the weekends, DS gets ~1h a day, one show in the AM, one in the PM.  Like mini-Mashi, he's normally running around, playing with cars, or doing little dude stuff.

DH works from home and takes care of DS, and I know DS probably gets exposed to more tv.  I don't like it, DH knows that too much tv is bad, but I pick my battles: a non-nagging wife for DH = a happier DH for me :)

On the positive side of this: Aaron has learned A LOT from the shows he watches, especially his vocab.  So, I don't see it bad per se; just in moderation.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 20:51:52 pm »
Sara, I agree here.  DS has learned a lot of things from TV. As annoying as Special Agent Oso is, he taught my DS how to set the table, sort the recycling, make a birthday card, make apple pie...

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 20:58:41 pm »
make apple pie...
Really?  Has he made his culinary debut for you yet? :)  That's really neat!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mashi

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 21:07:03 pm »
Nah, we made one together after him begging for weeks, he took one bite and spit it out! ::)

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 21:09:21 pm »
ROFL!  More for you, right?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 21:42:57 pm »
Ben watches about an hour a day.  It seems an awful lot when I write it down, but it is spread throughout the day, and being at home all day every day with a spirited live-wire we both NEED that down time.  He'll watch a bit when he first gets up if he's grouchy/had an EW, a bit while I shower/get dressed, and then some when I'm making dinner or if I'm just exhausted in the afternoon we'll put on a bit so I can slump on the sofa ::)

But I suppose the big thing for me is *what* he watches - which is limited to 4 dvds and a couple of programmes on the internet (we don't actually have tv) - one which is a sign language/educational programme (Something Special) which he has learnt so many concepts/signs/new words from, and then a little cartoon about trains which he likes.  I do think it's everything in moderation - we go to a toddler group most days, do messy play, he plays with his cars, helps with jobs, goes to the park or in the garden, has lots of one-to-one time with DH and I, so a bit of TV in the mix isn't harmful imho  :)

Claire x

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 23:16:04 pm »
I will let my DD (27 months) watch 1 hour a day and it's always in the morning.  Granted I've caved and done more before in the afternoon.  My DD is just now becoming much much more interested in TV since about 3 weeks ago.  Before I couldn't get anything from it but now.......  I"m sure I could get lots.  She also plays and watches and plays and watches but once that hour mark hits it goes off.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 02:21:07 am »
My kids watch one video per day.  They alternate picking every other day.  Most of our videos are 30 minute veggietales, but sometimes they pick a full length movie (like Toy Story) but they usually lose interest before it's over. 

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:03:55 am »
we are def watching more than an hour a day atm...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 15:47:50 pm »
We usually do 45-60 minutes a day, broken up. It's usually an episode of Mickey Mouse clubhouse before lunch/nap, then another of the same or of Jack's Big Music Show or Play With me Sesame before dinner. All of those are 25 minutes. Sometimes he also watches a few minutes of whatever DD is watching before bed but usually he's too busy playing at that time. It's often a bit less on the weekends as we're out and about so much. And he's starting nursery two mornings a week this summer so that might make it less on those days too - we'll see. It's the only way I can get his/our food ready sometimes!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01