Author Topic: Nearly 12mo and refused 3 bottles today!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline bensmuma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Nearly 12mo and refused 3 bottles today!
« on: May 14, 2011, 00:16:55 am »
My lo will be 12 mos next week. We've noticed she has decreased her milk intake in the last few weeks, some days taking only a few ounces of the 6 she would have normally taken. She is still on 4 bottles (or was until today). Today she took 5oz at 7am then refused the 11, 3 and bedtime! She wouldn't even put it to her lips! I suspect she's filling up on solids now but the problem is she's no expert at the sippy. She wouldn't take but a few sips of both water and milk from it today. So what now? I'll keep pushing the sippy and try the bottle of course, or should I just take the hint and give her the sippy? Or should I just drop one bottle at a time now? Thanks in advance!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Nearly 12mo and refused 3 bottles today!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:15:55 am »
Filling up on solids really isn't a problem now she is 1 to be honest, it's what you want her to do! From 1 most babies/ toddlers ;) only have milk at wake up and bedtime. From 1 you need to think of milk as a drink rather than the food it used to be and they only need around 14-16oz of dairy to get their needs met. The don't even need to get their dairy all from drinking milk, the dairy in their food counts towards their intake so if she is drinking less milk offer plenty of cheese, yoghurt etc.

I would continue with her wake up and bedtime milk for a while but you can just offer  milk in a sippy with meals if she isn't interested in day time bottles.

HTH! I will move this over to eating for toddlers too!

Laura

Offline bensmuma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Nearly 12mo and refused 3 bottles today!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 18:42:37 pm »
Thanks Laura! I dropped the 11ish bottle today and gave it instead before her afternoon nap at 245 and she downed almost 7oz! She took her am bottle too, so I guess this is what I should have done a few weeks back when she started taking less. Thanks for the advice!

Holly