Author Topic: 6 yr old doesn't eat much dairy at all...  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
6 yr old doesn't eat much dairy at all...
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:15:00 am »
DS is turning 6 :o :o :o next week and he has been struggling with eating/drinking dairy for some time now.
I brought it up to the doctor over a year ago and she had a chat with him about how important it is...but that didn't change anything (obviously)...
So here's what happens: if he drinks milk @ home-which rarely happens...I might try to convince him to have strawberry milk etc..immediately after having a drink he puts his fingers in his ears- as if to scratch- and scratches the outside of his throat. He will eat cheese only on a hamburger, but that has the same result-but maybe not as bad as a drink of milk. He does not eat yogurt...and will sometimes eat icecream....but the same happens.
Anyone heard of this type of reaction?
Thanks!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 6 yr old doesn't eat much dairy at all...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:04:40 am »
Well that does sound like it could be an allergic reaction. With hayfever I often get a very itchy throat. What does he say to you about it? Does he get any tummy pain or eczema?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:14:15 am »
Could well be an allergic reaction. I'd actually get that checked out, because if it is true allergies, you'd want to make sure he avoids dairy not just a home but elsewhere as well.

Meanwhile, I'd look into other calcium sources. Dietary is best and most easily absorbed (the calcium in dairy isn't absorbed as easily as that from sources like leafy greens or salmon, as it turns out), and a good calcium supplement can help you make up the difference while you make adjustments to the diet.

But it sounds worth checking out. My ears, lips, and throat/neck are places that itch when I've had something I turn out to be allergic to.

Offline Intransit

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 13:26:41 pm »
Thanks ladies..
When it happens he says my throat is itchy, scratchy....he does not have an upset tummy---but would rather stop eating whatever it is than continue. Lately Ive been more concerned about it so I am trying to disuade him from eating anything dairy till we get it looked at.
We have an appt on Tuesday for this very reason..it's a new doc so I hope that he doesn't give him a pep talk lol
We eat a lot of leafy greens already...and I will look into more foods which have calcium.
Thanks--will update after Tues appt
*Sarah*

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 13:45:55 pm »
Aw, poor guy!  Don't let that new Doc off the hook by giving a pep-talk!  This does sound like an allergic reaction to me as well.  Here's some non-dairy calcium ideas...the gingerbread cookies sound good!   ;)

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/dairyfreebasics/tp/CalciumFoods.htm  

This too..

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 13:47:27 pm by Amelia1227 »

Offline Intransit

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 15:56:21 pm »
Thanks Anne!
*Sarah*

Offline Intransit

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 13:28:50 pm »
So, I went to the doctor and he is referring L to a pediatrician who will see him and then we will probably do some allergy testing.
Im annoyed though...DH was there for the appt as well ( he is a nurse) and as I am telling the Dr what happens when L drinks milk or eats cheese etc...he tries to tell me to stop-as though Im making it up.
he then told me in the car that I "embellished" the details and it doesn't happen all of the time! umm YA, it does!
How frustrating!
*Sarah*

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 13:35:47 pm »
I used to not like milk so never drank it - only took it on cereal.  Later I did food intolerence test and found out I have intolerence to cows milk!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!