Author Topic: What to do with toddler while I shower  (Read 3454 times)

Offline kimbo613

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
What to do with toddler while I shower
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:36:25 am »
I used to have no problem keeping DS entertained while I showered.  He would happily watch a short video and play for a few minutes if it ended before I got out to the front room.  I have since had to stop that because he was getting very destructive.  A few times I came out to find him standing on top of our coffee table so that he could reach all the electronics out of his reach on the TV stand.  He has also managed to reach around behind the TV and unplug it and/or other devices, pull off the speaker covers and poke holes in them, get into cabinets that have child locks on them, etc.  I have multiple times come out to find toilet paper strewn all over the living room.  He's not a terror of a child, normally.  I just don't know what gets into him.

I have, since, been putting him in his room to play, which he does not like at all.  But it's the only safe place in the house I can have him unsupervised now.  Generally I will play with him for a few minutes in there, get out some toys he may not have played with in awhile, then tell him I'll come back to get him after I'm done with my shower.  He is always crying by the time I get out, sometimes screaming his head off.  I wonder what the neighbors think ::)  Hopefully they can't hear it.  I just don't know what to do with him.  What do you other moms do?
-Kim

I breastfed for a total of 2yrs, 3months, and 1week

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
Re: What to do with toddler while I shower
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:46:00 am »
Well as my DH always says, "better that he cries than us!"
It's just one of those things where you have to be as quick as you can (unfortunately) and they may cry for a very short while.
Sometimes I let DS come in the bathroom ( and shut the door) with me and get some of his bath toys out on the floor - he mostly sits and plays with them as they're a bit of a novelty as he only sees them at bathtime iyswim. Or we play peep boo with the shower curtain and he gets wet ::)

Or you could take his pushchair upstairs and strap him in and have him in the bathroom with you  :-\ Sometimes use the pushchair in that way if I want to mop the kitchen floor and we're on our way out to get DS#1 from school.

But usually, unless I have to go into town first thing, I have my shower when he naps :P

Hugs!
 :)

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:23:21 am »
i usually shower before he gets up. If dh is away w' work baby normally gets up at 6 fd baby shower and get ready and toddler usually plays hapily in bed until i come and tell him its wakeytime. If he wakes v. upset i put baby downstairs with toys and bring toddler in the bathroom to play. Have even showered with him a couple of times! Xx

Offline jacsmummy

• Mummy to Jacca & Bonnie Xx
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • Xx
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:24 am »
Since my Ds was quite young he always showered with me, it kept him entertained, safe and clean at the same time.....not everyone's cup of tea I supppose, but it certainly worked for us, as you know it's incredible what they can get up to it an instant?!....... ;D

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:38:05 am »
If I have to when dh isn't around then I'll have a bath instead.  Then the kids have always played with the water and helped to wash me etc.  They end up getting soaked but they stay in the room with me (especially when younger) and if they are out the room I can hear them unlike when I'm in the shower.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:42 am »
i used to put a gate on the bathroom door and another gate at top of the stairs so they have a small area in the landing/hallway to play but can see me in the bathroom, talk to me etc if they wish and i can see them or at least hear them. i shut all bedroom doors and have kiddy safe handles on them so they cant open them and get up to mischief. i would put a box of toys there for them to play with.

these days i tend to shower in the ensuite when DH baths them in the other bathroom as it gives me a few minutes to myself. when i'm on my own, i shower while they are in the bath but we have a separate shower/bath in the one bathroom to make that possible. or DS1 showers with me while DS2 has a bath (he's still in a bathseat).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:05:31 am by huntersmummyinoz »

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:44:54 am »
I have always put mine in their rooms with toys to play with - they did cry occasionally, but my shower takes about 5 minutes so I figure it's just something they have to put up with. Once they got used to the fact that that was the way it worked, they stopped being upset anyway and have generally played quite happily since.

I do think that the reason he is crying is that he is angry rather than distressed or really needing you, so I think that leaving him for a short time while you do something you need to do is okay.

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
I used to let DS be in the bathroom with me while I showered but once he started pouring baby oil over the floor that wasn't an option anymore! So now he has to stay in his room an play, I used to close the gate in his room and he often would cry a bit (like pps said angry crying rather than distressed crying), but he kind of grew out of it and also I'd give him a sticker if he stayed nicely. Now I've found that he'll play better if I don't close the gate but I kind of have to 'threaten' to close the gate if he doesn't stay nicely. So normally he's very good, he just calls out frequently 'mummy are you finished having your shower?!!!' :P

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline kimbo613

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 14:31:44 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, ladies.  Lots of good solutions that, unfortunately, don't work in our house layout.  He is definitely angry crying, so maybe he'll just have to deal with it :)  I'm glad to know others have had the same problem.  It has only been going on for a little over a week, so I guess it will just take time for him to 'get' that this is the way it is.
-Kim

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 14:38:35 pm »
I let DD shower with me sometimes OR set her up with a TV show in the playroom. She isn't quite as destructive though! I have left her in her room to play and she has been fine to read books and play w/ her toys, etc. Is your bedroom nearby? Have a TV? Child safe? Maybe a change of scenery and being in a different room with different things might work? Then you can put on a show AND leave toys/books/puzzles and just tell him that he's in there until you're done with your shower.

OH and snacks ALWAYS helped! A cup of cheerios and a sippy of diluted juice and she was super content!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 14:40:42 pm »
OH and snacks ALWAYS helped! A cup of cheerios and a sippy of diluted juice and she was super content!

I used to put M in her booster seat on the floor with the TV and a snack and she was fine.  If she wasn't in the seat she would be drawing on the walls or walking along the dining table before I got back. Last few months she's been great though and just potters about.  Has a bit more sense now!

Offline kimbo613

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 15:57:08 pm »
Has a bit more sense now!
Looking forward to this :)

I tried out the idea of blocking off some of the hallway, and that seemed to work fairly well.  I can't let him be where he can see me while I shower, since our shower is ensuite.  But from the hallway he can see into our bedroom, so as soon as I'm out I'm within eyesight.  He seemed much more content with this, even though his freedom was limited to his room and the hallway.

The snack is a good idea too, except that I usually shower right after breakfast.  I'll keep this in mind, though for when I'm timing my shower around the new baby's sleeps times :)
-Kim

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 17:14:12 pm »
Usually dvds work for us, but on days when I know he will be a scamp I have filled up the baby bath and he's sat in that (in the big bath!) while I have my shower.  It obviously only works on less rushed days though, but makes for a fun time rather than a battle  ::)
Claire x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 18:02:18 pm »
T (32mos) is good about watching a bit of tv.  F (12mos) hangs out in the hall outside the bathroom (with the gate locked at the stairs and the bedroom doors closed if I think he will get into anything).

I think though, that safety is most important.  He has to go where he is most safe, whether he likes it or not.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012