Author Topic: How big a snack do you offer?  (Read 7874 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
Re: How big a snack do you offer?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 21:57:31 pm »
i must admit, i do not give that much of a choice, for anything that does not need cooking choices are provided but not for what needs cooking, more often than not. Mainly because i consider my kitchen as a family kitchen and not a restaurant kitchn which caters different things to differnt people based on whim.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 22:07:37 pm »
DS isn't there yet age or verbal-wise but around 2.5 we started giving DD a choice for snack of 3 items (if only two she'd get upset). So like raisins, carrots or apple slices. Seemed to work with her!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 23:33:39 pm »
I don't mean offering a choice for meals, just for snacks.  We are not a restaurant either.  I make one meal, which usually has several different components to choose from, but one meal it is.  But when he is crying for a cookie for example, then I think it's fair to say "you can have an apple, some raisins or a yogurt", kwim?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 23:57:13 pm »
Ava will gladly walk around with a bag of frozen veggies and eat lima beans, green beans, peas, carrots, etc. But presented on her plate w/ dinner and they get left behind??!! It really is all about presentation and whether or not it appeals to them sometimes!

Wendy-I have the opposite problem that you have. Ava will drink ALL DAY LONG if I let her. Juice here, milk there, water, here....she GUZZLES her beverages like a college frat boy drinks beer. Honestly I don't think she'll ever be dry at night the way she drinks!

My biggest issue at the moment is that she will eat pet food ICK ICK ICK. Even as we are approaching the age of 3...she will sneak and eat cat/dog/bird food and claim she likes it. I've yet to get her to stop this. I hide our cat's food but my mother hasn't learned to keep her dog and bird food out of her reach, SOOOO annoying! Talk about ruining your appetite. BLECH.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 00:49:00 am »
Ewww, Nicole!!  lol

T is a big drinker too, water, milk, juice.  So is F.  I swear they would be happy on a liquid diet.  :P

See, if I let my kids walk around with a bag of veggies trust they will all end up on the floor and not in their tummies!  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35:16 am »
B will walk around  and eat carrots or squash cooked if I put it in a bowl but serve it with dinner and you never know who will eat it her or the dog lol.  She doesn't eat the dog food but is obsessed with feeding the dog the dog food which is still pretty gross.  We are walking a fine line with snacks and meals as I never know what she will or won't eat.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:36 am »
We have ferrets.  I guarantee that if your kids ate some of THEIR food, they would never do it again.  So, so, so foul!  Aaron did it once and threw up...has never done it since.  ::)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 13:29:00 pm »
We have ferrets.  I guarantee that if your kids ate some of THEIR food, they would never do it again.  So, so, so foul!  Aaron did it once and threw up...has never done it since.  Roll Eyes

I WISH DD would get sick from the pet food so she'd learn to NOT EAT IT! It is SO disgusting.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 13:37:35 pm »
Finn has nibbled on cat food before...he's not meowing...yet

Last night he ate carrot sticks.  Easily and without issue.  I can't understand this kid.  Is there a manual...seriously someone needs to write a manual.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 13:42:24 pm »
Here you go Wendy:

Manual for babies to toddlers:

I. Expect the unexpected
         A. Babies and Toddlers will tend towards doing what you least expect when you least expect it. Be prepared...or rather, be flexible and hope for the best.

II. Have a sense of humor
         A. Make sure to be able to find the humor in things, even vile and disgusting things.

III. Try to have patience
        A. ....and if not, find someone else who does and walk away for a few minutes. Try out a glass of wine for assistance in this department if need be.

IV. Be prepared to cuddle and love
        A. When all else fails, cuddle and love your baby or toddler. Even at the worst moments, this will help you to feel better even if it does not help your baby or toddler, but generally it WILL help them as well.

V. Mom knows best
        A. Trust your instincts. You know your baby best and you will be the best mom for YOUR baby. Go with it!

Does that help????

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 14:07:02 pm »
I like that Nicole--sooooo true!  :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 14:43:26 pm »
just my personal experience but too many choices are confusing and an kill my son's appetite, so if he says he is hungry, we just say ok you can have say - some apple or some almonds if I give him too many choices he gets lost in them and then ends up snacking on nothing but getting super hungry.

Also I do not keep stuff I would not like him to eat anywhere where he can see or reach it and sometimes he will out of the bluse aks for Candy and theb we discuss how its for special times as its not super healthy.

I recently found at Costco these bluberry acai berry and dark choclate little balls, about the size of say an peanut M&M and on the rare occasion that he wants a treat i often use those, it satisfies his choloate craving and is also high on anti oxidants!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 16:03:39 pm »
I think two, or maybe three choices would be appropriate.  Especially when they are at the age where it is important to give them choices!

Definitely agree about keeping unwanted snacks out of sight or even out of the house.  I try to do that but need to find more hiding spots because T is getting better at getting into the cupboards!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010