Author Topic: How to get soya milk into 15month old?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline jessygirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:14:23 am »
We are in-between diagnosis for dairy int - have been told to switch to soya milk with calcium drops.  Any ideas on how to get ds to drink the soya milk which he clearly doesn't like -should I try the flavoured soya ie banana ?  Also which cheese should I try ?  Is it worth seeing a natropath ?  His symptoms have been up every 2hours at night crying, problems pooing and a permanent sore bottom ?
Many thanks x

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
Re: How to get soya milk into 15month old?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:23:02 am »
hi there! A switch this late in the day is never going to be easy. What  milk has he been having before? You can trial different flavours...... i now use the alpro soya unsweetened milk, and add a tiny half teaspoon of milkshake powder (strawberry) to it. This seems to make DS think its nice, and even with the sugar powder, still contains less usgar than the sweetened cartons of soya.

I do not bother with cheese, but am in the UK so not sure if they have any where you are.

Symptoms sound about right for milk int. We have never been so happy as the day we switched to soy.

Lili x
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
His he drinking any milk now? I would'nt have thought soy tasted that much different? Certainly try the flavoured milks and then use it in cooking - sauces, custard etc

Offline jessygirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 13:07:28 pm »
have tried mixing normal cows milk and soya milk to get him used to it and tried the vanilla flavour !  The paed also prescribed a calcium supplement- does anyone know what there rda is at 15 mnths ? As you can buy soya with added calcium and vits ?   Would it also be that weird to stop giving him his bottles of milk completely ?- he would be happy with juice and that might solve all the issues?  Ahhhhhhh !  thanks

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 13:10:27 pm »
Hi, have been told by my dietican that they need mg of calcium at that age. As long as he gets the right amount of calcum, fats and protein from other sources I don't think they need to DRINK milk.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 15:11:48 pm »
If you're already looking at dairy intolerance, it's good to be aware that a LOT of people who are milk protein intolerant are also soy protein intolerant. Soy can also be hard to digest for many people who aren't technically intolerant.

I'd look at a supplement if you're concerned about not getting enough calcium from other dietary sources like leafy greens and salmon and soup broth (I always make mine with bones in for  added calcium).

Offline jessygirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 18:50:47 pm »
I have been given a calcium supplement -very confused am seeing a nutrionist on thurs to help me more !

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 18:56:51 pm »
What are confused about hun?

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:52:38 am »
a nutritionist might confuse you even more. Every time I've seen a dietician (guessing its the same thing) they have been less clued up than me about the whole thing, and spent the whole time asking if he ate vegetable, and if i knew the effects of soy on infant rats? I found the whole dietician experience a waste of time, and wish I had followed my instincts.

With regards to the tolerance of soy. Even though we have done well, I think DS has a limit to the amount of soy he can tolerate, limited to about 200ml of soy milk a day or 2 yogurts.
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess