Author Topic: Finger food suggestions for 9mo just starting solids  (Read 1285 times)

Offline MommytoJack

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Finger food suggestions for 9mo just starting solids
« on: June 01, 2011, 13:03:31 pm »
My now almost 10mo just started eating solids at 9mo, he was eating about 2Tbsp of puree's and his dietitian said to give him more finger food options since he was starting to eat toast.  He now refuses any spoon feeding and only wants to feed himself.  He won't eat soft foods like boiled/steamed carrots or potatoes, or soft banana/peaches...he only likes the breaded foods like toast and cereal puffs.   Any suggestions?  He is still new to eating so don't want to rush the larger foods too much?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Finger food suggestions for 9mo just starting solids
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 18:29:54 pm »
Here are some links with suggestions:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62087.0

If he has no allergies or intolerances, you can start introducing most foods by now.  He might do better with more variety.  Also try different shapes and sizes for him to pick up.  Small pieces are good for pincher practice, or large sticks/spears are good to hold on to.

You can try rolling fruit in crushed up cereal or breadcrumbs to make it more appealing to him.

:)

Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MommytoJack

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 13:05:55 pm »
I am so nervous of spears of food...how do I know what is too big or ok to be in a spear?  I know that sounds foolish but I feel I know how to take care of him in every way but feeding him sometimes LOL.   He started eating more table food the last 2 days he had pasta & chicken that I made for supper.  He ate more then usual but still not very much.  How do I know what is enough...what is an average amount of food for a 10mo per meal?  I tried breadcrumbs on fruit and he still hates to pick it up, he will try and if it falls out of hand or mouth he refuses to even try more. :(

I looked at the recipes but think the issue is getting him more interested in eating..he totally refuses help of any kind and will throw his hands over his mouth and scream :(

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 17:47:43 pm »
Basically the only shape/size you want to avoid is choking size, which is the size of a grape.  When an LO chews/sucks on a spear, they are learning to manage it on their own.  Solids isn't just about getting food into your baby, this whole time they are learning about biting, chewing, and swallowing, so what you are trying to do is give them ample opportunity to practice these skills.  Eating it comes after all of these are mastered.  If you give a baby a spear of food, he learns how to pick it up, put it in his mouth, chew on it, bite pieces off, use his tongue to move them around in his mouth and to the back where he eventually swallows it.  And HE has to learn these things, you just have to provide the food and the opportunity. 

If you are worried about choking, please know that it is very rare that an LO actually chokes.  Gagging on the other hand is completely normal and is actually supposed to happen.  It is how an LO learns to manage the food in his mouth.  Also, knowing what to do in the event of choking helps put some of the fear aside.

Most moms will offer spears or small pieces based on their comfort level, but also you have to judge what foods are ok to give this way.  For example, a raw carrot or a slice of apple is probably not the best to give in spear form if you are worried, as choking sized pieces can be bitten off.  But something like ripe pear, or cooked carrot, or even toast works well because they all turn mushy in the mouth.

How much he eats is not particularly important, what is important is that he is getting exposed to a wide variety of foods.  Make mealtimes fun and relaxed, and try not to stress too much (SO much easier said than done!).

It sounds to me like he would do better with Baby Led Weaning.  I actually really recommend the BLW book by Gill Rapley for more in depth info.  It really helps to understand what weaning is all about and puts your mind at ease with concerns regarding finger foods.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012