Author Topic: My hungry, hungry girl  (Read 939 times)

Offline story3girl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 17, 2011, 22:12:28 pm »
My LO just turned 8 months old, and we've been doing solid foods since just before 6 months, and I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.  She's always been a big girl - she was 19 pounds at her 6 month appointment, and I'm not sure exactly how heavy now - but she just had a big growth spurt and started crawling and now she looks much leaner.  Lately she's started increasing her milk feeds again - a lot - and started waking up at night, and I'm concerned that I might not be giving her enough solids.

Our day is usually

B - 1/4 cup of baby oatmeal + fruit (half a banana, a one ounce cube of homemade pureed pears, peaches or prunes, or a few spoonfuls of natural applesauce)

L - 1 cube of veges (squash, carrots, sweet potatoes or peas) and  a cube of fruit and sometimes a few ounces of whole milk yogurt

D - 1/4 cup of rice cereal + 2 cubes of veges

Snack - a few handfuls of Cheerios + water in a sippy cup  (sometimes a few times a day)

She doesn't always eat it all; when she turns away or puckers her lips we stop, but it's usually close to this much.

Are we on the right track?  Should we be giving more of anything?  Do we need to start meat or cheese - we had been waiting until after our 9 month appointment although TBH when I asked my ped for nutrition advice at 6 months, he told me I was "overthinking it."  Ugh

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: My hungry, hungry girl
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 22:54:52 pm »
Sorry your ped was so rude and unhelpful.
Assuming you don't have any allergy issue sto consider, I was thinking it might help to increase the protein like meat and cheese and maybe add some new carbs too like (real) rice, pasta, bread and potatoes. The more variety you offer the more she is likely to eat. She does seem to be getting a lot of fruit and veg which while good is not very calorific. It may be filling her tummy but not allowing her to eat the amounts she need. Avocado is a good fat and calorie source.
Breast milk or formula is still the main source of nutrition at this age (until 12mo) so do up her intake if she needs it. How many BFs or oz of FF is she getting currently?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 23:34:53 pm »
Typically about 6-7 BF in a day, with two of them overnight.  Today I think she's nursed 8 times already.  I have always had a fast letdown and oversupply but these days I have been feeling awfully drained (literally!) and started losing weight again.

At the risk of "overthinking it," how would I start introducing those other foods?  I know pasta can be a finger food, and so can toast, but how about rice?  And how would i start meat and cheese?

Thanks!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:49 am »
You can either puree meats and add them to the veg, or you can go ahead with some meats as finger foods.  You can try shredded chicken, either on it's own or mixed with veg.  Shredded cheese as a snack works too, or just long slices.

Try adding brown rice to some of her purees too.  Quinoa is another great grain to try as it is very high in protein.

Otherwise I think you are on track.  Don't worry, you're doing great!  It all boils down to offering a variety, don't be afraid to have fun with it and offer her all kinds of new things.  If she will eat off a spoon, that's great, but offer finger foods too.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline story3girl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 16:58:29 pm »
Thanks ladies!  Your wisdom is equalled only by your kindness.