Author Topic: can someone explain the difference between Montessori and daycare?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Caleb loves daycare yet I feel he could get better naps at a more home like environment but Im wondering whats the difference between daycare and Montessori as there is one up the road from us and its in a house so I feel it would be easier and better for his sleep needs (rather than a brightly lit room on a slim mat where people walk through and make noise etc)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: can someone explain the difference between Montessori and daycare?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:33 am »
Montessori is just a type of daycare, following the educational approach of Maria Montessori. A 'true' Montessori school (any daycare can call itself Montessori but that doesn't necessarily mean they are) typically follows a very structured day, and using Montessori materials (you'll hear things mentioned like 'the broad stairs', 'the pink tower' which are sort of games really, but which teach mathematical concepts like widest to narrowest etc). It's a mixed age group classroom (usually 3-7).

There's loads more info about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education#Montessori_Education_Theory

Basically, it's just another form of daycare. Stan goes to a Montessori school and is absolutely thriving there - I think he likes the relative quiet and order, and likes knowing what happens when and where.