Author Topic: How to handle food rejection due to esthetics and spitting of textures  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
DS gets stuck on things here, too. Will want them non-stop, until he is sick of them. And never tells me he plans to get sick of them, waits until the day after we have done the grocery shopping and I have a fridge full!  I remember being the same way though as a kid - I very much remember my oranges phase, which lasted probably a good full year, I think I ate 3-4 a day. One weekend my mom came home with a bag of them with groceries and I almost puked just looking at them.  No idea what made me suddenly sick of them as it was not a gradual tapering off, just from all to nought!

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
So this lady was on a parenting show I watch fairly religiously:
http://www.myfriendinfood.com/about-theresa-friends/

Actually quite refreshing. 

And said basically what you gals have been saying, which is 'do not follow them down the rabbit hole' and in fact she suggests at this age going even grander with your offerings.  Because yes, it is their taste buds, apparently this is the age where things stop tasting all sweet to them and they are able to distinguish salty and sour and other tastes more easily.  So the more exposure the better, regardless of waste, it pays off down the road, they have research that shows this.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494

Fellow mothers, grandmothers and great-grandma's!?  ;)

Hugs.  :-*

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
wendy - everything you describe is what happened to me with Alex. she is not spirited (liv is and never had this extreme an issue) but was textbook / angel.

up until 2 1/2 she ate like a champion (coudl live on avocado sandwiches, licked brie off crackers, stole african curry from my plate)  between 2  and 3 1/2 we lost foods here and there but i did not notice as i was still dealing with PPD and dealing with 2 kids at very different stages.
we moved when she was 3 1/2 and it went rapidly down hill from there and now at 8 we are still dealing with this. i don't think we are friends on FB (?) but i have posted a lot on there about my frustrations over the years reachign a head a couple of times including 2 weeks ago.  Alex has THE most sensitive pallate i have ever seen (to taste, texture, any deviations from what she knows something to be).  if i sub a brand of PB in her sandwich she wil know at first nibble, she can tell the difference in a fish finger by sight even though it looks identical to every other person).  the foods she cut out were all mentioned in your earlier post - berries, apples with skins, meats, veg etc with a preference for carbs (mostly healthy ones but still restrictive).  her current diet (without my sneaky chef style baking) is 1 banana daily (i refused to let her have 0 fruit so she chose to keep bananas under protest), healthy cereals (we don't do sugar ones), real porridge with a little honey, peanut butter (on crackers, wholemeal bread or a bagel), fish fingers or crumbed fish, shredded mozarella cheese (can tell if i accidentally buy full fat), homemade mac and cheese, plain pasta (not even oil or butter on it) or rice, hashbrowns, quesedilla (made with wholegrain tortillas and said mozarella)+ snack foods (meusli bars as healthy as i can get, popcorn, pretzels, etc).  I DO get extra nutrition in by working with her carb preference and she loves beetroot and cocoa muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pink pancakes from deceptively delicious, etc.

i think aisling's first post summed up what i wish someone had said to me - keep offering the foods even if rejected 20 times. i never made/make her eat anything, but i DID stop offering things over time and catered to thiese preferences out of respect i thought because she seriously woudl get hysterical at the THOUGHT of some foods (if she knew chicken was for dinner she would start stressing about it and crying at 2pm). i thought it was related to the move so kept "riding it out",  but it IS frustrating to deal with for YEARS (been 4 + years now with both of us crying a LOT). i hope you (and anyone else reading this) do not have to face that kind of time frame and do think the main thing i did wrong was to not offer the foods more often - i would still put whatever veg liv was having on alex's plate too, but so many meals were just what she liked instead of soem of what she liked and some of what had been rejected.

we ended up at a nutritionist last year and the method she advocated was similar to kate's - put out al the food and always include 1 or 2 of their preferred foods but they cannot just eat an enormous amount of 1 of those (ie can have 1-2 normal serves of plain pasta but not 2 giant bowls and nothing else.  so once she has had enough of her faves it is try one of the others or meal is finished). never to force them to eat anything (so she stood by my never making her try even one bite) etc

sorry for the long post but i look at you like it was me all those years ago and i don't wish this hell on anyone. i wish i had friends like aisling did who said what they did, maybe my stress levels would have been less and my child woudl not feel so badly about her "difference" every time we are in public, at a BBQ, dinner out or travelling!

hugs to you and Finn!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Tweakster

Aww Deb thanks for sharing.  I'm really always so grateful for this board and all the BTDT stories and seeing how people are learning from each other.

I'm learning a lot as I go and have been having good success with still offering him the rejected foods but just in smaller quantities.  I think a large part of my problem is really having no clue about portions or portion control and I can barely manage it for myself, never mind my kid.  I need to recognize that if he'll even eat 1 carrot at a meal I should call it a victory and a step forward.

I do admit that to see my 'good eater' start to dwindle his foods down scared me a lot but if I have any kind of emotional response to this it's only setting up a power play and I will lose because you really can't make kids eat - nor would I really want to.

Offline Deb_in_oz

when i offer something like veggies they might / don't like i put small amounts - so if i am adding raw red pepper which liv will eat 3/4 time i put 4 pieces on her plate with dinner and 1-2 small pieces on alex's (and pray that someday she will take a nibble). it is less intimidating and if they like it they can ask for more. i count ANY that gets in their body as a "serve" since alex especially eats none.  she had 1 small piece of broccoli the other night (now that i am pushing her instead of going with the flow) - she sat down to diner and said "yay brocolli' since she liked the nibbles she had last time. then she proceeded not to eat any (or liv) and i insisted they each eat one piece (hoping that woudl lead to 2, but that is all they ate) and i felt good about the vitamins that they got that they would not otherwise have got that day LOL

Offline Tweakster

And so what do you do when you make your kid blueberry pancakes and they take one bite, drop their jaw, point at the slightly chewed food and run to the bin to spit it out? lol  He did the same with a blueberry muffin the following day.  And he'll eat them sans blueberries.  So not sneaking anything into this kid lol

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Blueberry puree makes purple pancakes! Beets make pink ones!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tweakster

Ah yes, I should be pureeing them.  Of course.  The whole reason I bought a Magic Bullet lol  Mind you he would probably have an issue with the colour 'no like it blue'

Karen, even I wouldn't eat beet pancakes lol 

Love the new avatar!  Your little girl looks like a mini-you :-)

Offline Deb_in_oz

my super picky kids favourite boosted foods are pink pancakes fro deceptively delicious (has apples grated, ricotta cheese and pureed beets) - they are slightly sweet, haleht and the kids love them.

i also have a great muffin recipe that is her fave which is beetroot and cocoa - also very little sugar added and she eats 1 1/2 - 2 per lunch serve.

for the blueberry puree the only thing i do is make purple puree from sneaky chef = blueberries + spinach.  i then make her brownies in big batches - they have this puree plus wheat germ, very low levels of sugar and chocolate are needed and it delivers such big boost of antioxidants that picky kids are missing. i put 2 small ones in her lunch box (1 for liv)

i post these and other recipes on my notes page on FB if you want to check it ou.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Thanks Wendy! Yea she looks quite a bit like me, other than her cheeks (hers are fuller) and mouth - those and her skin tone are more DH.

I haven't tried the pink pancakes yet that Deb mentioned but have heard really good things from other parents with picky eaters.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01