Author Topic: Help please, feeding issues with 15 month old  (Read 1603 times)

Offline akshu

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help please, feeding issues with 15 month old
« on: May 22, 2011, 17:27:57 pm »
i y'all
I am at my wits end with my son, meal times are becoming a battlefield. Let me start off by saying he is underweight, so our MD emphasizes every time, how he needs to gain more weight. DS hates to be spoon fed, ( earlier I could distract him by singing or showing him his toys) but now it's to the point where he howls when I strap him into the highchair. However the only thing he likes to feed himself is Trader Joe's O's, and one cannot survive on that.

When I give him bananas, avocados, pasta he will eat 1/2 chunks and then play with the food. So he is not efficient at this. He does not pick peas/carrots/corn when I put it on his table. Also with eggs.bread/bagel, he just eats 1-2  bites and thats it.

When I am eating from my bowl/plate, he just comes over looks and runs away, no interest in my food either! When i give hm a spoon to feed himself he just sucks on the other end of the spoon.... He only drinks 2-3 oz of milk every day, that too I sneak it in with cereal, etc...
I am running out of ideas, my MD says to force feed him, but it is getting really frustrating for both of us... and I dread meal times.

DH is also not very useful, since I am a SAHM, I wish he would do the feedings over the weekends, but he cannot be bothered, which frustrates me even more!!1
Please if someone has advice or things that work let me know.
Thanks so much
Nila

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Help please, feeding issues with 15 month old
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 16:59:37 pm »
Quote from: akshu
my MD says to force feed him

:o  :o  :o  :o  Seriously? How on earth would that make mealtimes better??

It's totally normal for food intake to take a sharp drop around this age or even sooner. They just aren't growing quite as fast as they are in the first year. But since your LO is already underweight it might help to try some healthy fats food. Check this thread out - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=209176.0
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: Help please, feeding issues with 15 month old
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 13:36:10 pm »
ugh! Does your doctor even have children?

Firstly, what percentile is your child in? I am always wary of other people who comment on a child's weight/age. I was very very skinny as a child and I have turned out fine. If your LOs health is otherwise fine then really, the weight will follow.

feeding has to be the most frustrating job. I totally feel your pain, its so annoying and boring! It sounds like you've followed your doc's advice and tried to enforce eating times. Which is why he now hates the high chair. It also sounds like you have a super active LO on your hands who probably just does not want to sit still (lets face it, if you'd just learned all these new things about your body why sit down?) I've got a few bits of advice that I hope helps in some way to relieve your frustration...take what you want, leave what you don't. I really hope it gets better, cause I know how you feel!

* Check out the stickies on portions for toddlers. Often we think they should be eating more but a toddler portion is much less than ours.

* Try to pretend that it doesn't bother you if he eats or not. If he senses that it gets you hot and bothered then he will react to that. Suppress your anger and take a 'whatever' attitude. Letting him see your frustration or making a big deal of it is just adding more pressure.

* You could try instead of the high chair a little toddler's chair at the table or your lap until he forgets how much he hates the high chair. I do this with DS sometimes when he is really distracted. Some people will say that's a bad habit but he won't do it forever and the main thing is to ease your frustration and get him eating.

* It may be that he has a quick metabolism (could account for his skinniness) and is the type of person who needs to eat little but often. You could try putting plates/bowls of snacks around him while he is playing, let him know its there if he wants it and keep reminding him occasionally.

*I also pretend to eat my son's food and make lots of yummy noises while doing it. While doing this I pretend to ignore him, ie. so engrossed in the food...often he gets curious at my antics and wanders over to see and will have some bites.

* When you eat your own food be sure to make positive comments about how  much you enjoy it and how tasty each thing is. Don't worry if it looks like he doesn't notice, these kids don't miss a trick, he's taking it all in

* A fave at our place is chicken patties. Mince a chicken breast, grate some veg (carrot, zucchini, spinach, whatever) add some bread crumbs, egg and any herbs you like, mix together well, dip in bread crumbs, place on a tray cover, freeze. when frozen transfer to freezer bag or container. To cook, defrost and lightly pan fry. You can do this finger size as a meal or snack, tasty and nutritious. Use dark chicken meat if you want extra calories/good fats.

* and  lastly, try not to take it to heart. It is a phase, it will pass and he won't be like this forever

hugs x