Author Topic: How much to feed 8 mo old?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Smurfette

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
How much to feed 8 mo old?
« on: May 23, 2011, 00:56:21 am »
My DH and I are not sure what to do here.

For the past few days my DD has been refusing to nurse before bed time. This means that she is only getting 3 milk feeds and I AM NOT ready to start weaning! Lol. So I'm thinking she is too full from supper which is usually just an hour before. I am going to try moving up her supper time, but I'm wondering how much solids should I actually be giving her?
I know there is the whole 'she'll tell you how much' but she will start to refuse something that she doesn't care for but will take more of something else if I offer it so I'm not sure what to do.
What does everyone else do?
Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: How much to feed 8 mo old?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:04 am »
My DD2 is 8.5 mo and I would say she gets ballpark about 4-5 oz of food at each of her 3 meals.  Usually, it goes something like this:

Breakfast: About 2 tbsp of oeatmeal mixed with formula and about 2 oz of fruit puree (for a total of about 4 oz)
Lunch and Dinner: 2 cubes of a veggie, plus about 1/2 jar (2 oz) of a pureed fruit, plus about 2 small handfuls of a finger food (common ones right now are pasta and veggies, yogurt melts, cheese etc)

She currently takes 4 bottles- the first 3 of about 6-7 oz and the 4th is DF where she is currently taking only about 4 oz.

Her appetite varies and goes way down when she is teething. HTH

Offline Smurfette

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 19:35:29 pm »
Well my DD is teething, so I'm hoping that's it. I can't believe how heart breaking I'm finding it when she refuses to nurse at BT. The funny thing is for the past 2 days (also in conjuction with trying to have an earlier supper) she has drank from a bottle and/ or sippy cup but fought to take my breast. BUT she nursed totally fine from me during the days...what gives?

I finally shut the lights off in her room last night and was able to lay her down to nurse and she did for a bit.

I just don't get it.

Texomamama-do you give the same amount at dinner and lunch or is what you described split over those 2 feedings?
Also what time is your DF? Does that mean you don't give a bottle at supper?

Thanks

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:03 am »
No, I give the same kinds of foods and amount at lunch and dinner.  I might have actually underestimated a bit.  Tonight, for example, she probably had at least 5 oz of food for both lunch and dinner

With regards to the DF, I actually just posted in the bottle feeding forum about dropping it :) For the past week or so, she has been really cutting back on her DF.  Last night, she only took 3 oz, the night before, she would not take any.  If she drops the DF, she will only be down to 3 bottles, and like you said in your OP, that is not ideal.  However, why do the DF and risk waking her up (not to mention keeping me up a bit later at night) if she is not going to take more than 2-3 oz.

Tonight, I gave her a BT bottle at 7:25 pm, and I am going to not do the DF and see how it goes. I know she is indeed teething right now, but she is eating so much the rest of the day, I think she just is ready to drop the DF.