Author Topic: looking for inspiration  (Read 1759 times)

Offline huby

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
looking for inspiration
« on: May 23, 2011, 21:14:20 pm »
Hello

I really find i struggle to keep house. I gave up work to look after little one and she's very active and eats a lot. She's the size of a three year old at 21 months - i get a bit tired of the comments of her being 'large' all the time to be honest.
She likes her food, but like most 21 months, has started to have preferences.

I'm looking for inspiration. She's not keen on mince, so not a huge fan of shepards pies. She loves fish, but can only give that to her twice a week. SHe's ok with chicken if I bread them at home and oven bake them into healthy nuggets and she doesn't like cheese, though I can get away with mixing into things.

Otherwise her favourite things are water melon, toast, yoghurt, rice, chapattie, cuecumbers, brocolli, peas, fish fingers, steamed carrots, strawberries, bananas etc...

all good healthy stuff, but I have run out of ideas, totally. There's me, DH and DD to cook for, and she's not keen on sandwiches, but need something easy, tasty for lunch (me and her) and meals (all of us)

Any suggestions much appreciated. But I do struggle for time, esp now the EW have started again so am tired.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: looking for inspiration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 20:33:44 pm »
I thought it was only oily fish which was restricted?  I could be wrong.

Anyway, my LO isn't that keen on sandwiches either.  Have you tried quesadillas though?  They can be as healthy as you make them and my LO loved it:

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/05/quesadillas-ok-for-adults-12-months.html

My LO also started finger feeding himself with stew last week.  I was really surprised as last time I'd given him stewed meat he didn't want it but perhaps it was feeding himself he wanted to do.

I wouldn't worry about the weight.  My niece was really heavy up until her 4th birthday and now she's just tall and looks in proportion.  I don't think she'll ever be a skinny bean but she's not overweight.  She looks way older than she is but that's just her height.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 13:23:50 pm »
hi there,
Thanks ever so much for that, hmmm, not so sure she'd eat that. She hates tomatoes and cheese, which is a bit annoying.
She is tall in height - very very tall, not so large width wise, but i wonder if she will slow down length wise! She's not skinny either, but doesn't look at all overweight, as she's so active i guess.

Ahhh, i didn't realise, so it's fish such as salmon (any others?) which is down to two a week?
Thanks

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 14:01:28 pm »
my DD is a really picky eater, but she loves couscous made with organic chicken stock and orange juice (I now put in raisins and almonds as well, but DD is three) and it is so fast to make. I also do whole grain pasta with pesto or a simple cream sauce. She loves Chinese stuffed buns too, I am not sure if that is available where you are...
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 14:37:54 pm »
Hey there,
DD will eat and loves pasta with veggie sauce if it's blended i can even melt some cheese in it, but not tried cous cous, so will give that a go. She LOVEs raisons so that'll be a winner and almonds - what a clever idea could also put some chicken or something in  too perhaps. So thanks for that

Not heard of Chinese buns but there's a huge oriental supercity supermarket type thing not too far from us so could check it out one day.

Thanks

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 15:07:46 pm »
My dd ate pasta nearly everyday for 2yrs  :P I just used to vary the sauce. Oh and she loved rice stir fry, loads of veg, brown rice a little stock and either prawns or chicken or sometimes and egg. Have you given her any pesto sauce or anything, it is a great age to get them into spices and so much easier to liven a meal up  :)
Katt

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 19:37:40 pm »
ah ha - well suppose at least you knew what was on the menu, and pasta with a sauce ticks all the boxes i suppose.
She will eat quite a wide variety of stuff and will try everything once. So pleased, she's not perfect and has dislikes - cheese, tomatoes and now tuna and mayo etc which she used to like, but such is toddlers.
Am pleased as my friends little one was fed on nothing but tinned baby food when little and until he was one and now won't eat anything but bread and fruit sometimes. 
Can she eat spices now...my mum is desperate to try some out on her when i'm back up there visiting next month. Masala etc, nothing hot?
Great stuff! Also, can you give me the recipe for the rice - sounds really nice as a family meal too and she loves rice.
But last time i tried a rice dish with egg in it, i must have done something wrong as it tasted horrible!
Thank you
x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 17:48:37 pm »
I haven't really got a recipe for the rice, I just bung in whatever I have and add the beaten egg last and fry it until it is very cooked, always with lots of garlic and paprika (I add chilli flakes to my portion after I have dished L's up). I have been giving Leorah spices and herbs since she started on solids, not very spicy chilli but so she gets used to the taste, maybe she was used to it from when I was pregnant and breastfeeding too. Mmm, I bet she will love your mum's food, I have an Indian friend and her children eat curries and she just adds yoghurt to theirs  :)
Katt

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 15:51:02 pm »
I've given my LO mild curry paste now (he's 13 months) and he was fine with it.  I was thinking of including a small amount of mild chilli powder in my next batch of "chilli" (I had been making it for him with mild smoked paprika instead.)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 18:02:10 pm »
Great stuff with the chilli. I totally lack decent recipes tho and lo is getting the same food time n time Again. X

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 18:21:22 pm »