Author Topic: Dairy Intolerance question from a breastfeeding mum....  (Read 1238 times)

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dairy Intolerance question from a breastfeeding mum....
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:55 am »
Hi, I have a 15 week old son who suffers from reflux. In general he has been better since he has been on medication (Ranitidine) in terms of the fact that he seems much more settled and isn’t screaming the house down 24/7. However, he is still really really sicky and I'm convinced that he has a dairy intolerance as the reflux seems to settle more if I emit this from my diet.  My GP and HV say this is extremely unlikely if I don’t have an allergy.
I've been dairy free for about a month now and substitute my diet by using soya (milk, margarine etc). However, reading through some of the information you lovely ladies have posted, it seems that both cows milk and soya should be avoided if you think your child has an intolerance, is this correct?
If so, what substitute is there? I'm worried that I'm not taking in enough calories and that my milk may not be enough to sustain my lo. Also I love my tea so need to know what I can drink it with!
Thanks ever so.

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Dairy Intolerance question from a breastfeeding mum....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:55:28 am »
Hi hun, I hate how some Drs and HVs just dismiss the idea so quickly :( I do not have any intolerances, neither does DH and my first daughter did not. Along came DD2 and she does! Anyway yes it is best to elimate soy too, a lot of babies who are milk protein intolerant (MPI) are soy intolerant too. I also love my tea, I know how you feel :) For me the best subsitute was rice milk, it's a slightly acquired taste but I got used to it v quickly :)
The Dr and HV can't stop you from going dairy free, if you think he is intolerant and you want to continue bf then it's a great idea to try the elimination diet.
Any more qs feel free and welcome to BW :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:19 am »
Coconut milk! I generally can't abide the taste of coconut but when I started having it unsweetened I realized I actually like it a great deal. I now have a morning smoothie which is half coconut milk right from the can. And some people do use it in coffee and tea, although frankly I prefer mine unsullied by additives. (coffee and tea, that is) ;D

For more good calories, you can cook with coconut oil and even eat a teaspoon of it once (or even a couple times!) a day. It's a good fat, and can also be used topically, and it's antimicrobial (fight bacteria, fungi, and viruses) AND it is THE best source of lauric acid outside breast milk. We use so much we literally order it by the gallon online. :)

And WTH at the doc and HV? Allergies and intolerances aren't the same in the first place, and the baby has TWO parents, not just YOU, AND babies' systems aren't mature yet so allergies and intolerances can be more common in babies. Yeesh. Good on you for giving it a go!  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:50:40 pm »
Hi well done for the success on your diet so far! Some babies who are intolerant to milk are to soy as well. If you feel your LO isn't settled enough then you could take soy out too. Are you in the Uk? We use oat milk and a dairy free marg (can get a few that have no soy).

Good luck x