Author Topic: green vegies increase bowel movements?  (Read 845 times)

Offline Mia's Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
green vegies increase bowel movements?
« on: May 24, 2011, 17:44:32 pm »
My preemie is 7 mo's old, 6 mo's adjusted, loves green beans and peas. I'm glad she prefers her green veggies but I'd like her to eat a variety of fruits and veggies. So in order for her to eat an assortment, I feed her either green beans or peas along with the other veggies/fruits. I've noticed that her bowel movements increased from one to two and sometimes three a day.

I keep reading articles about the importance of not creating a picky eater so in the last week, I've cut back on the green beans and peas and fed her the variety of veggies alone and she is eating the other veggies pretty well. Definitely not her favorites like the green veggies, but she is eating a few spoonfuls (much less than green beans and peas).

Since cutting back the green beans and peas, her BMs have gone back to one a day. Is it best to have one BM per day? I figure there are worse foods that she could prefer, so why not feed her the green veggies since they're healthy for her and full of iron? Or is it tough on her tummy to have 2 or more BMs a day?

Offline *Sandra*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: green vegies increase bowel movements?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 17:55:25 pm »
I don't think that it really matters.  Her belly might just be getting use to something different.  I would keep trying to give different foods if you can.  You can still lean towards what she likes, I would think the BM would fix themselves unless she is having some sort of reaction.

Do the BM's look normal?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 17:59:36 pm »
The green veggies could be causing the increased BMs, but if so that's fine.  Is she acting fine and happy?  It's actually really good and quite normal to have 2-3 BMs a day.  Unless you think something is amiss with her behaviour, or the BMs don't look right, I wouldn't worry.  Yay that she likes veggies!!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mia's Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 18:28:10 pm »
Yup, BMs are typical I think. They change in color depending on food color and sometimes peanut butter like, but that's normal too. I'm glad she luvs her veggies, definitely her father's daughter ;). I'm more of a Reeses's peanut buttercup and spumoni ice cream kind of girl!

Thank you!!!

Also, is it too early for pasta? That food isn't listed on my dr's lists at all, not even when she's older...? And should I puree it or just mash and add to her cereal? How best to prepare? And is there more info/links about introducing meats here? Pretty new to the site. Thanks again!!!