Author Topic: 16 month old suddenly gone fussy! x.  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« on: May 24, 2011, 17:53:38 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I suspect that my plight is a common one  :(. DS has just turned 16 months and and around 3 weeks ago he started refusing hot food from his bowl. If he so much as sees me walk towards him with it he has a fit and shakes his head untill it almost falls off  ::). The most frustrating thing is that he doesn't even know when it's his favouite. I refuse to force feed him anything but on occasion while distracted I've managed to sneak a touch in so he tastes it and then sometimes he will think 'MMM OK' and have some more  ::). I thought his molars cutting may have been contributing but in the morning he does have a large bowl of ready break and he allows me to give him that. I have started to allow him to use his spoon and he's learning to feed himself (and me) so meal times are very messy but he enjoys that and of course it's all part of his development. I have tried him with approx 25 new foods (just a rough count) and most of them he hasn't even tried. The problem being he just takes one look and throws it on the floor. If I give him his plate with a small amount of some of his favourite things and some new things he simply eliminates the new stuff by throwing it. No matter how many times I put it back on the tray it goes back on the floor. The few things he did like, like ravioli for eg he changed his mind about 2 days later and threw! So at the moment his diet is limited. The one thing he ADORES is ALL fruit. He eats about 13 different types including the super fruits like blueberries and pomegranate seeds, so his vitamin intake is good   :) but his natural sugar intake is high  :(. I also give him a multivitamin daily with cod liver oil. As he is refusing all vegetables, even the sweet ones I have been buying him Ella's Kitchen vegetable with fruit slushy drinks in the pouches which he likes (except for the one with broccoli YUK  :P) and finds them a novelty. Including his fruit, ready break and snacks I'm not worried he isn't eating enough because he is really, I'm just worried about the content. I strongly suspect this is a common phase all be a frustrating one. I'm trying to be chilled  8) but.....

Any advice/experience/handy hints would be great.

Thanks.x.

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 16 month old suddenly gone fussy! x.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 18:02:26 pm »
I would keep trying to give new foods but don't give him any of what he normally eats on the side.  If he's hungry he'll try it.  You can always give him what he likes for the next meal.

My feeling is that as long as it is not something they really don't like (I can see how awful my son thinks some types of fish are) then give it to them and see what happens.  Sometimes I just leave it there for they decide they are hungry a few minutes later.  If you keep giving him what he wants after he launches his food on the floor he'll never try!

Also try a song or train pulling in :)

Or just keep some fruit for afterwards if you feel more comfortable. 

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 20:59:52 pm »
Not too much advice here, but commiseration. You are not alone! My DS is almosst 14 months and has been doing the same thing.  We have some days where he totally surprises me, but it is tough.  I sometimes try just sitting him in his highchair with his food and going about my business in the kitchen.  I keep my eye on him out of the corner of my eye (obviously to make sure no choking etc) because it seems that he knows he is pushing my buttons when he throws things on the floor, so not paying attention sometimes helps.  Also, I tend to have better luck at snack times if I sit on the couch and have a snack myself and then offer him some of what I'm eating.  Seems to be more interesting to him.  These things do not always work, but sometimes do.  I have also tried singing as the pp suggested and that sometimes works for us as well.

Good luck and hope it passes soon!!! 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:24:06 am »
Thank you Nicole,

Yes I've tried to ignore him and sometimes he tries more when my back's turned. He used to want to eat what I have, but now even that won't work. My DS is also Sam born Jan 22nd. What a great name LOL.

((x))