Author Topic: EDs - did it affect your milk supply?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
EDs - did it affect your milk supply?
« on: May 23, 2011, 22:32:44 pm »
When you were on an ED did your milk supply go down? I think my supply is really starting to take a hit after months of restricted diet. Just curious if others had hte same issue?  DD is getting very fussy at end of feeds and keeps bobbing on/off as if looking for more milk but there isn't any  :-\   

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
Re: EDs - did it affect your milk supply?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:05:51 am »
For us, I think adding some fat (sunflower oil or something) to whatever it is you can eat, might help. I also added fenugreek which I was surprised that DS2 tolerated since my diet was extremely restricted. I am still nursing and still taking it daily.

It will get better. Hang in there.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:01 pm »
Don't know actually. He fed at night till 12 months so may well have done

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:39 am »
i def noticed a drop in the first couple of weeks (used to pump a lot). dietician advised lots of fatty fish (salmon) and adding other fats like canola, sunflower where u can and more protein, and eating more in general. coconut milk/cream and avocado  and olive oil drizzled on everything are great too but r high sals which i think u r avoiding if i'm remembering correctly??

u could also try pumping after feeds if u want to boost supply.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:50:36 am »
My supply didn't go down, but I have an oversupply anyway.  I did notice just visually that it seemed to be less fatty - when sitting in a bottle, the fat at the top seemed to be less.  When I queried and asked around various health professionals the consistent answers I got were:

Tehcnically, and ED should not affect the quality of your milk, (as long as you are eating enough) as your body will take nutrients from your stores or wherever if it cant find them from the food, and also women on the third world who have very limited diets milk quality does not suffer.  I felt that the quality of my milk was suffering though, but that was just a hunch.

As for supply, they told me that  if you aren't eating enough, yes, it will go down, so increase your water intake and snack more often including protein snacks as much as possible.   Oh and stress and sickness is a major factor  that will affect your supply. So try to get good sleep and time out where you can.

If you want to stimulate your supply put him on a bit more often and let him feed longer if you can....