Author Topic: ~What do you wish you'd known?!~ Newly diagnosed milk intolerance  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pipplater

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My lo is 6.5 months, is exclusively breastfed and has been finally diagnosed with milk intolerance. I have been diary free for a few months and things have improved and as of tomorrow she is being prescribed Neocate.

So my question is "what do you wish you'd known at the beginning?"

I'm thinking foods you're surprised have milk, those that you're surprised don't, weaning ideas, experiences of neonate....

Thanks x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
I wish the first time around with Masyn that in the hospital someone had told me that LO's can be intolerant to milk, and that caffiene can affect them.  Yikes, she was in such pain and here I was tossing back milk, cheese, coffee....whoops!  Glad the second time around I was smart enough to cut back on dairy ahead of time just in case.

As for foods with hidden dairy...hot dogs, sandwich meat, french fries (McDonald's are dairy free now).  Then there are the other names for dairy, which you need to be well versed in to read labels.  Also, that ingredients in things change all the time, so you have to remember to read them every time you buy something.

Thank goodness soy was okay for us, that one is even harder as it seems to be in everything!!!
Heidi

Offline pipplater

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for your reply. I think we are fine with soya too as I have replaced with soya while breastfeeding and this seems fine for her.

I'm in the uk and the labelling her seems pretty good, I've just found an iPhone app where you can scan foods from one of the biggest supermarkets and they'll warn you of milk ingredients which may also help.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Agree that when we went into hospital at 3 weeks old with profuse vomiting after taking formula that we were told LOs could be intolerant to milk! I only owe our early diagnosis to Google and a tenacious husband!

Bourbon biscuits often don't have milk - salt and vineger crisps do!

If you find any good foods in the UK please add to our list!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173345.0

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
salt and vineger crisps do!

Those are okay here, but not dill pickle!  I still read the bag every time though.
Heidi

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
I wish I had known that skim milk powder is a flavour carrier and used in everything :(

The ED was worth it though. We had issues right up to a year and now she's on HAF, but we did it and I got my bf'ing relationship that I wanted.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline pipplater

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you for all your replies. We started on the Neocate today. I was dreading it due to reading stuff about how disgusting it is and how difficult it is to get them used to it... I gave it to her today and she guzzled 6oz straight away!