Author Topic: 16 Month Night Wakings - Too much daytime sleep?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline MummyEvie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 16 Month Night Wakings - Too much daytime sleep?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:33 am »
Hi Everyone

So I thought I would check back in and give an update on how things are going.  We've had good and bad.
The good - we've stuck consistently with the 12-2 nap and that seems to be going pretty  Apart from a couple of recent upset wake ups at the hour mark (due to teeth and possibly OT) where I've had to intervene, he's coped with the nap transition pretty well.

The not so good - The NWs (until last night) had started to improve too however we have had LOTS of EWs.  For the last couple of weeks he's woken at 05.20 on the dot every day standing at the side of his cot and crying until we go in.  He doesn't cry loudly to begin with it's just that whingy 'can you come in please' cry.  So I have tried to leave him to see if he would settle back down but he just escalates getting himself upset so I have to go in.  He's never been one to sleep later than 6:30/7:00 at the very latest but 5:20 is just so early!

Last night was pretty rough.  He woke up 1am and got himself in a pickle, DH went to him and gave him Calpol (he's still cutting his canines and walks around with his fingers in his mouth all day) but he wouldn't settle and DH ended up taking him in the spare room with him where he finally fell asleep at 3am.  He started the day at 6am.

I'm not sure what to do about the EWs?  When he wakes at that time I try and ensure his day isn't too long and that his lunch time nap is pulled forward a bit.....but I'm reluctant to keep making his bedtime earlier and earlier as worry he will wake earlier. 
Equally I'm starting to worry about his total hours of sleep.  For example last night he will have only had 8 hours (with the 2 hour wake up in the middle) and if he wakes at 5:20 tomorrow he's not had any opportunity to catch up.

Can anyone give any advice on routine tweaks?  Or should I just ride it out because it could be teeth related? 
What does everyone do when their LOs wake early - leave them, cuddle them, take them in with them or just start the day??

I'm sure he's upset due to his teeth but I'm finding it hard to know how much to give in to and whether I'm setting myself up for bad habits?  How does anyone really know?

Just a reminder here is his routine:-

Wake - 05.20 at the moment!
I go into him and usually spend some time in his dark room giving him a cuddle on the chair in his room.  He's happy to curl up with his lovey but hasn't nodded back off again as I thought he might.
6.00 - Get him up and dressed
6.30 - Beaker of milk
7.30 - Breakfast
11:30/11:45 - Lunch
11:45/12:00 - Nap
14:00/14:15 - Wake up from nap
15.30 Snack
17.00 - Tea
18.15 - Bath
19.00 - Bed (asleep within a couple of minutes)

How long does this canine incisor teeth business last?  I feel bad for my little man  :(

Thanks again to everyone who has commented, it helps so much to know you guys are out there.

Offline sianie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »
It does still sound like he's being bothered by teeth....unfortunately, molars & canines are the worst!

DS got his 1st year molars through recently & in total it took around 8 weeks (on & off) for both top & bottom sets to come through. Canines should be quicker to come through as they are more pointed teeth but they are also notorious for messing up sleep.

We usually get EW's when DS is teething....I usually leave him in his cot for as a long as I can to re-settle but once he starts getting upset I go in & give meds if necessary. If this doesn't work I get him up for the day & shift the day forward slightly so that his nap & BT are earlier.

I know what you mean about earlier BT's but TBH they do make a real difference in keeping OT at bay (which can happen with EW's & teething)...even though you may not get a later WU, at least they have had more overall night sleep iyswim?

On a positive note, he seems to have transitioned well to the 1 nap  :)
Sian

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 01:58:15 am »
Hi, I think you are taking the right approach.  Try to leave him in bed as long as possible and getting him up at 6 is a good idea (not before).  I think you have room to move bedtime a bit earlier if needed.  I understand your worry though, some LO's do not tack on sleep at night.  It depends on him really, my DS1 would but with DS2 earlier bedtimes do mean earlier wakeups, so use your judgement. 

Does he wake on his own from his nap after 2hrs or do you wake him?  I would let him sleep a bit longer and keep bedtime at 7 if you can.

Canines took about 6wks for us and were definitely the worst!  It does end, hang in there.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MummyEvie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 08:13:30 am »
Thanks both

Well last night was great.  He went down and was asleep by 7. He slept like a log all night, I was even worried whether he was okay at one point as he didn't peep at all!
But then he woke up 05.10!!  He stood at the side of his cot and cried until I went in.

This morning I felt that it really wasn't his teeth more that he has got in the habit of waking up at that time and wanting me as opposed to being in pain. 
I said our 'sleepy time' phrase and tried to put him back down.  He really wasn't having any of it.  He just kept getting back up and standing at the end of the cot crying more and more.  I repeated the process a number of times (as this has worked in the past with sleep training) conforting him, laying a hand on him etc, however the longest he stayed down was about 8 minutes before standing back up and yelling the house down.

At 6am I decided it was quite long enough for him to be so upset and so went in and picked him up.  He was instantly calm.  We have an armchair in his room so I sat quietly with him there for a while and within 30 minutes he had fallen asleep again.  So he must still be tired (unless he was just emotinally worn out from all the crying?).

I checked his teeth again this morning and I would say his canines are about half way through.  Can they still be causing him pain?
I don't want to be heartless but similarly I feel he's waking during a light sleep cycle in the morning and just wanting me or DH to go in rather than actually needing us.
Where initially he might have woken in discomfort I'm worried it's now habit.
I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt a while longer and I guess night wakings and or displays of pain during the day should also give a fair indication.
BUT if this has now become a bad habit how do I break it?  ???

I've dealt with Sepratation Anxiety and had to do a fair bit of sleep training in the past using WI/PD/WO; but these EWs feel like a different challenge and I hate that he starts the day getting so upset.  I am a morning person and when I had him I accepted that I would never get lie ins again, I'd be happy with 6am but just after 5 is less than ideal!

???

Offline sianie

• My little monkeys....
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:39 pm »
SA can flare up again when LO's are ill or teething so one could be exacerbating the other if that makes sense?

Usually, once the teeth have broken through LO's tend to be in less discomfort BUT I know with DS that he seemed bothered teeth until they pretty much fully came through (also sometimes there are other teeth also starting to come through that aren't showing yet?).

I would carry on with WI/WO when you get an EW....I would be aiming to get him up to start the day no earlier than 6am.....even if he doesn't go back to sleep, with consistency he should learn that he doesn't get 'rewarded' by waking early (i.e. being taken out of his cot etc).

What do you think?
Sian

Offline MummyEvie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 13:03:30 pm »
Okay I will carry on with that approach.  Thanks for the advice.
I wanted to check in with you guys, as I was lying there listening to him crying the house down this morning thinking 'am I being too hard on him'?
I'll carry on with the consistent WI/WO method until 6am. 
I'm also considering getting Gro Clock after reading the successes of others. He's 17 months old and a sharp cookie so I'm sure we can work this in too??  Would you recommend not introducing it yet and just sticking iwth WI/WO or start straight away working into the morning 'wake up at 6' pattern?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 15:09:42 pm »
I agree with everything Sian has said.

No gro clock experience here, but I wonder if things don't improve soon it would be worth a shot?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline sianie

• My little monkeys....
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 17:13:54 pm »
We use a Gro-clock for DD but she was over 2 yrs old when we introduced it.....not sure whether your LO would be too young as they still have little impulse control at this age.

Have a look at the Gro-clock support thread....might help you decide...

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=176864.0
Sian

Offline MummyEvie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 07:16:43 am »
Update!
Tuesday night / Wednesday morning - Bedtime was 7pm as usualy but he didn't fall asleep until 7.45, think he was overtired and finding it hard to switch off.
Anyway we had one brief shout out at midnight and then he slept until 05.45.  He started to cry at the end of his cot but it was very half hearted, just little whinges not full on tears or screaming and he even sat back down himself at one point.
I went in at 6am and made a big fuss of starting the day and being cheery and happy. 

Wednesday is my day off and so I had him at home with me all day.  He was fairly tired all morning so I gave him an early lunch and he was in bed asleep for his nap at 11.45.  He slept a full 2 hours then got himself up just before 14.00.

We had a lovely afternoon and I paid close attention to having a good hour wind down and then in bed for 7pm.  He was asleep by 7.05pm and slept like an absolute log all night!  My alarm for work went off this morning at 05.55 and I couldn't believe I hadn't heard from him.  I switched on the screen to the video monitor and there he was fast asleep!  He woke up at 06.25 but didn't cry - I wouldn't have even know if he was awake if I hadn't seen him on the monitor he was just standing there waiting at the end of his cot.  So I went in singing and he jumped up and down at the end of his cot he was so happy.  Big cuddles lots of singing and jollyness it was the best morning we've had in a LONG time!   ;D

I'm not going to start the party yet but I'm feeling pretty positive that we are heading in the right direction again; having 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep certainly helps too!

I'll keep you posted on how we go but wanted to share the good news and say thanks again for taking the time to share your advice and experience.  8)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
GREAT update!  I hope it continues!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline sianie

• My little monkeys....
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 13:19:49 pm »
Yay!  ;D
Sian