Author Topic: does this sound like allergy?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline mags123

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 27, 2011, 20:29:51 pm »
hi
i just put my 13 week old little girl to bed.i'm BF. she started feeding at 5 for half hour thenagain at 6.30 until 8!! an its just taken a half hour to get her to sleep. basically she has incredible amounts of wind and i can hear the gurgling and noises in her stomach. i tried infacol the last few nites and no change. also, not to sound too crude! but she projectile poos all the time and has a huge amount of flatulence. she makes noises like she is under extreme pressure in her back passage. i really do feel like she is under pressure. does that sound like anything? you know i keep thinking its like Irritable bowel. i took her to a food allergist and she said she may be allergic to gluten. has anyone any guidance or advice
thanks
mags

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: does this sound like allergy?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 21:04:31 pm »
This does sound like an allergy or at the very least an intolerance. Dairy is a very common culprit for these kinds of symptoms, as is soy, but they're certainly not the only ones.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:21:28 am »
Hi, has she always been like this? Have you taken her to the doctors to rule anything else out? It could possibly be a reaction to food. As Deb says dairy is most common.

Offline mags123

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 21:57:15 pm »
hi
had her at the doc this morning. he said her tummy fo full of gas and to stay away from yeast as this ferments in the gut and causes gas. makes sense. he didnt say she was allergic to yeast but suppose no one can really take it. i have to give her infant gaviscon and see if things improve. gonna try it tonight and see what happens will keep posting our progress. plus i'm going off all yeast products too!!
 :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 22:37:45 pm »
Hoo boy (to your doctor ::)). Here's the real skinny on yeast in the gut:

Yeast lives in most people's gut. When we consume sweets, including dairy (lactose) and carbohydrates that break down into sugars during digestion, THAT is what ferments in the gut with the help of the yeast.

It is possible that there is an imbalance of gut flora behind the wind. In my DD#1's case,  I received an A/B IV during labor as I was GB Strep+, and for the first few days Natalie had so much nasty wind; she could clear a room with those newborn baby farts even before my milk had fully come in. One day while I nursed her, I put some probiotics on my nipple before I put her to the breast and it cleared right up.

On the other hand, if your LO isn't able to digest the proteins in dairy or soy or other foods, her gut will be irritated and she will exhibit similar symptoms. Here's a link to post on food intolerances: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0