Author Topic: The Switch to Whole Milk  (Read 2277 times)

Offline bensmuma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
The Switch to Whole Milk
« on: May 28, 2011, 00:49:00 am »
Hi Everyone! My dd is a week past her first birthday, I just stopped nursing a month ago and my supply of breast milk is at the  bitter end. We had dropped one bottle about a month ago and added a whole milk sippy. Now she has whole milk sippys with each meal and a mixed bottle for the 3 she gets. Since she started drinking more of the whole milk her stools have been much softer, and she's pooping a lot more. Her little bottom can't handle all the stool and has become so red raw and weepy   :'(  TBH I don't know it's the milk for sure but seems odd it happened around the same time. She woke last night in the middle of the night for the first time in 2 months and I'm sure it was because she pooped and it hurt. Has anyone else had this experience with the switch from breastmilk to whole milk? And will it get better?

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: The Switch to Whole Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 19:53:44 pm »
Hi there :)

Has your DD ever had any formula before you introduced the cow's milk? I'm asking as formula is cow's milk based and usually (but not always) LOs would have reacted to the formula too. It is possible to first develop a milk intolernace/allergy when going onto cow's milk as the concentration is so much higher than that in breast milk when BF.
From what you're saying it does sound like she's reacting to the milk in some way. It is possible to have a milk protein allergy or a milk protein intolerance, and there's also lactose intolerance to take into account. I will ask another moderator with more experience of this to take a look at your thread, but would also advice you to speak to DD's doctor. They will be able to do some tests to help determine what is causing the problems. There are loads of other "milks" that can be given instead (soy, rice, almond, oats etc.) to ensure they get the calcium and other nutrients found in milk.
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:12:16 am »
I think you are on the right track with linking the changes to her poop and the milk. I would definantly be questioning the cows milk.  For those with sensitive little guts, cows mik is extremely hard to digest. Usually its the proteins in the milk that cause problems, and usually the LO's will have an intolerance to the proteins.  Most will outgrow this as their gut matures.

Check out the stickies on the food allergies board:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185707.0

You can try some more digestible milks:

A2 cows milk
goat milk

raw goat milk (unpasteurised) very easy to digest as it contains all the enzymes and beneficial bactoeria, but you need to trust the source dairy farm and buy organic if you can.  I mention this because my son is near allergic to milk and had a severe intolerance to dairy but he tolerates the raw goat milk. 

Non- dairy:
oat milk
soy milk
almond milk

As for yoghurts, buffalo yoghurt, goats yoghurt and sheep yoghurt are all the A2 protein so much easier to digest.  The buffalo yoghurt has to most  benefical fat and most calcium of the lot.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:37:19 am »
Hiya Hon,

The exact opposite happened when I switched DS to whole milk  :-\. He became constipated which righted itself in 2 weeks. I think it is just because the fat content was so much higher, or so I was told. I hope it right's itself soon, poor little soul.x.

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:39:05 am »
Hey - the others have given great advice but I'd also add that maybe she taking a little too much milk too...from what you write she's having 3 sippys a day plus 3 mixed bottles...Just thinking out loud but I think my poop would be pretty soft with that much milk too, you could also try halving the amount she's getting and offering water with meals instead...any thoughts on that?

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:58 am »
Hi Again,

I agree, it may be too much milk  ;) Depends how much you're giving per bottle I guess. When I reduced the amount for DS after he switched to whole milk I would add water. I still do actually because he likes a small bottle before his nap, which consists of 3 oz milk a 2 water. It just means he gets to enjoy it just as long and it keeps his water intake up. He never batted an eyelid at any difference in taste.x.

Offline bensmuma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 19:52:19 pm »
Thanks Ladies, great thoughts. It could very well be I'm giving her too much. We just made the full switch to cow's milk in all bottles yesterday. I suppose I could drop the 3pm bottle and do snack before nap instead now. Vicu, no she's never had formula just breast milk. The poor thing's bum is better but there are some SUPER raw spots down there. We've been going diaper free a few times a day, slathering it with desitin and doing oatmeal baths, but with the loose poops it's so hard to get ahead of it. Tomorrow I'm going to drop the afternoon bottle and switch her meal sippy's to water and see if that helps. Anyone think that's a bad idea? Or should I add water to the bottle instead?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 21:39:04 pm »
I think it s a good idea to swtich the water as long as she is getting her daily calcium requirements.  I think its 500 mg for a one year old.     One cup of milk is 300 mg, one 3cm cube of cheese is 200 mg (from memory).

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:30 am »
Hiya,

I think if DD will happily have water instead then go for it. You can always go back to milk with water added if not. It certainly does sound like a milk thing, especially since she's only ever had home brew (well done you  ;)) which we all know is very easily digested.

Good Luck.x.

Oh..and oatmeal baths  :o. Lucky DD, sounds like a healthspa LOL.x.

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:46 am »
Moving to Food Allergies Board :)
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56:54 am »
Sounds a lot like my LO when we switched to whole milk. And we recently found out that he has a relatively strong dairy intolerance. He does tolerate goat's milk/cheese though (many with milk ALLERGIES do not but according to my ND, many with dairy intolerances do).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01