Author Topic: Mucusy poops...now what?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline okinawamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:21:17 am »
My 5.5week old son was diagnosed with reflux about 3 weeks ago. We are on zantac, and seeing slight improvement but not tons. He still shows traditional reflux signs (coughing, wet burps, hiccups...obviously we're still working to get the reflux under control) but he also shows some allergy symptoms ( congestion, fussiness, incredibly gassy, noisy tummy, mucus in poop).

I've always thought that DS2 had different diapers than my DS1, but just attributed it to the reflux or their meds. However, today I decided to research mucusy poops just in case that's what the difference was. After looking through pics on the web as well as here,  I think we're dealing with mucusy poops. Today there has been a little mucus in every change, and from what I can recall, there has almost always been some mucus and they're pretty stringy as well.

I've tried to cut out dairy, but haven't been very diligent in reading labels and finding the hidden dairy in things. I've cut out all obvious forms of dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, butter....) but have not done well on the not so obvious things.

Anywho, where do I go from here? Obviously cut out dairy entirely. I saw the list of hidden dairy and what to look for on labels, but what else. Is the most common culprit dairy? Should I be cutting anything else out? How long will it take to see a differnce? Do you keep some kind of journal?
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Mucusy poops...now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 19:25:14 pm »
This thread might help you

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

Have you seen any improvement in cuting the dairy that you have??

I guess soy would be the next thing...

Have you gone to the doctors yet?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 21:35:31 pm »
It is pretty important to cut soy as well.  Soy proteins are very similar to dairy proteins and cause the same problems in half of the dairy intolerance cases.  You can switch to oat milk rice milk or almond milk for a while.

It takes about 2 weeks for everything to clear out of the system.

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 21:55:44 pm »
I have read through the above link, but it just seems that so many of the symptoms so closely resemble reflux symptoms, so I wasn't completely sure if food intolerance was/is the true issue.

I cut dairy out very shortly after he was born , within the first 10 days of birth (out of desperation trying to end the crying), and very shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with reflux, so I wasn't sure if the improvements we saw were the meds or the diet change. Since I've been more strict on the diet (which was starting about 10 days ago, due to an extreme bout of fussiness, not because I noticed the mucus) I haven't see much of a difference. I guess the symptoms I was looking to decrease were the gassiness and some of the fussiness, I have not seen a change in that at all.

I have not cut out soy yet, so I guess I should go there as well.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:37 am »
hmm, I would give it 2 weeks on the strict diet without soy and focus on the poops. I would expect to see less fussiness after 2 weeks too.    would use poo as the main indicator though, you are right, many of the symptoms cover both conditions, but the poos are related to food intolerance and not reflux.  Unfortunately the poos make take more than a few weeks to improve though as they only improve as the gut damage heals, it can only heal when the irritants are taken out of the diet.