Author Topic: Dropping a bottle feed  (Read 1320 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Dropping a bottle feed
« on: May 30, 2011, 14:41:27 pm »
Not sure if this is EASY or bottle feeding, so feel free to move :)

Hi - just a bit of background, E was ebf until the past two weeks. She was on morning feed, bedtime feed and a midday feed usually before a nap as she sleeps so much better. We've transitioned her onto Nutramigen as she was a failure to thrive baby and still has mspi wreaking a lot of havoc on her little body if she eats anything forbidden. She LOVES the stuff, loves her bottle and although my public healt nurse said she should only have two 8 oz feeds per day, she's happily guzzling three down. I've tried on a few occasions to drop the amount gradually in the midday bottle but she's resisting hard. She eats very well as far as solids go and there's days she would happily sit for an hour and constantly eat finger foods. I really think she's getting enough solids wise but she's demanding that third bottle. By demanding I mean today she got 6oz and she threw herself on the floor screaming. If I attempted a nap she would have screamed for an hour like she has in the past. She drinks tons of water from a sippy but the only way we've been able to get her to drink the Nutramigen was through the bottle. I really don't have the intent on weaning the bottle, although she would take it from a sippy quite well. She's just incredibly messy with a sippy and that's why I haven't done it that way.

I don't think it's a prop issue as she's fallen asleep otherwise earlier in the day and had her bottle upon waking.

My gut tells me that her body is somewhat making up for lost time in growth if that makes any sense and she's finally drinking something that doesn't hurt her belly.

Am I crazy? She weighs 20lbs 14oz, was 8lbs 8oz at birth so a bit small yet according to my nurse, but I can't shake the feeling that she needs the bottle.

Thoughts?

TIA
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dropping a bottle feed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 17:31:46 pm »
I will move this, but over to eating for toddlers ;)

My gut feeling is that given her issues, if it's not stopping her eating her solids then I would stick with it for a few weeks and then see how things are. Maybe you need to work on more filling solids at lunch time for her to be happier to reduce that bottle, or maybe offer her the formula in a sippy with her meals as well.

I had a look at our UK growth charts and at 1yr and 20lbs (9.6kg) she is right on the 50th centile - so I wouldn't say she is a bit small to be honest :-\. She has dropped a little from her birth centile which would have been the 75th, but I don't think anybody would be worrying about that over here, my DS dropped from the 75th to just below the 9th!

Laura

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 19:47:04 pm »
Thanks Laura :)

Where she at one point went to just at the 10th I've been paranoid about her weight ever since. I think I'll follow what you just gave me and try to relax :-* She really does enjoy that bubby :)

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 23:13:27 pm »
Thanks Jen. It's always nice to know you're not crazy lol. I'm thinking I'm going to keep it as it is for now as she's just sleeping so much better and gently wean it off to 20 or 16.

She had a huge supper tonight and went right to her bt bottle as we had an unexpected late supper and she chugged the whole 8oz :o. Yup - this is a bubby baby lol