Author Topic: homemade baby food  (Read 7991 times)

Offline DrLilac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:46 am »
Hey guys :)

I'm planning to start making my own baby food and freeze them for later use. Do you guys add breast milk or infant formula to the puree? Is that ok to freeze then?

And what kind of containers do you use to freeze the puree?

Thanks a bunch :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:48:42 am »
Initially I used BM for purees but then just used water if I needed to thin it but rarely needed to do that. I used full fat cows milk in any recipes that called for milk from 6 months and it's fine to use it for cooking but not as a drink until a year.

I bought ice cube type things by Annabel karmel and froze in those. I also had we'd individual pots I used. Ill see can I find a link. But the ice cube portions worked great as you could just defrost a cube at a time.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: homemade baby food
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:21:42 am »
Normal ice cube trays work fine too! Once they are frozen you can press them out into labelled freezer bags, freeing your trays up for the next batch of freezing!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:59:56 am »
I just freeze portions in freezer bags and when I take them out of the freezer I take it out of the bag to defrost in a bowl in the fridge. I can then reuse the freezer bag.

I also just used cows milk for purees (oat milk for DD). Its fine to use in cooking after 6 months.

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:34 am »
I freeze food in just normal ice cube trays and do what anna does and empty them into freezer bags once frozen and reuse the trays.  I don't add milk to the puree before freezing  - I add formula (in our case because DS2 is MSPI) once its defrosted, that way I can adjust the texture because as they get older you want it to be more solid and less liquid. Hopefully that makes sense!

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 23:31:33 pm »
Great tips! Thanks a lot guys! :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 23:45:07 pm »
I keep a box of basic add water type rice cereal on hand as well for thickening if need be...

This is a fantastic website with tonnes of info and great recipes, schedules for introducing foods etc

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:31 am »
I cook food in steamer and use the water which stays in an upper container, my book says this water has nutrients which veggies (or fruits) losing while steaming. This works really great for us :)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 18:05:16 pm »
Thanks everybody :)

So I started pureeing her food. Started with sweet potato amd she loved it. I've already made green beans, Avocado and banana and they're in freezer bags right now. On the 4th day I will start Green beans. I noticed tho that thye green beans are not as smooth as the sweet potato or bananas. It's kinda grainy. Is that ok? But I pureed it as much as I could...

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 20:02:11 pm »
Some veggies puree smoother than others, you could try her on some and if it's too much texture just save them for another day.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 21:25:41 pm »
Beans and peas can be put through a sieve to get rid of any grainy texture :)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 19:52:23 pm »
I see. I've already froze the green beans before sieving :( I'll just throw it away then :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 20:38:14 pm »
Don't throw them out!  They can be kept frozen for a few months!  Just wait until baby is better with lumpy textures and try them again ;)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 21:19:21 pm »
Good idea. Thanks Kara :)

We're now on to our second food. We started with sweet potato which she loved. Today I have her avocado and she ate it too :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 21:25:18 pm »
That's so great!  Sounds like she is really enjoying her solids :)  Mine loved avocado for about a month, now she is kinda on the fence about it LOL!  Don't forget good ol' banana!  One of the easiest to introduce - no need to cook it (as with apples/pears etc).  Just mash and serve!  I try to get fairly ripe bananas for DD since they are a bit sweeter and funny enough, the riper they are, the less chance that they will constipate the little ones :)

Apples and pears were big successes for us early on as well!  Just peel and gently steam for about 7 minutes to start the breakdown of the sugars/fiber and the blend away - they freeze wonderfully as well!

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 03:02:46 am »
Thanks Kara! :)

What kind of blender are you guys using?

I have the Beaba babycook but it Only makes small batches :( so I'm returning it and getting a blender or food processor. But I'm confused on what brand to get. Help! :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:19:53 am »
I use a Magic Bullet :)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:39:55 am »
Is the container big enough to make batches?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 16:06:21 pm »
For as much as Alexandra can eat, yes.  I use the tall cups and it can make enough for an entire ice cube tray :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 16:39:09 pm »
You can get a hand blender as well which makes large batches, but it doesn't take up a lot of space and it's less costly than a large food processor.  You can also control the consistency of purees really easily with a hand blender.  Something like this:  http://www.cuisinart.com/products/hand_blenders/csb-76.html
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 16:40:21 pm »
Good point Martina!  I have one of those ready for lumpy textures :)

Offline LittleLegs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 20:34:43 pm »
Hi

I use standard ice cube trays and then put in labelled freezer bags once frozen.  I do loads of different fruit and vegetables so I can try LO with a variety of different mixtures he's on 4 ice cubes at the moment, even a cube of pureed chicken.  I have used full fat milk before freezing for things like mashed potato since he's been 6 months.

My LO has loved sweet potato and butternut squash with apple and pair combinations.  He loves mashed potato too and you can buy baby gravy in supermarkets so I freeze cubes of that too.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 20:43:51 pm »
I had horrible luck with freezing white potato - how did you do it LittleLegs?  Did you use russet potatoes or white/red?

Offline LittleLegs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 21:41:14 pm »
We just used large jersey new potatoes which were the only potatoes we had in at the time of doing a massive batch of cooking, obviously peeled etc prior to cooking.  Odd potato to use but worked out ok and he seemed to love it.  I mashed them with the masher attachment that came with our Kenwood blender and added full fat milk so perfectly smooth.  You can't puree them because it turns really sticky.  Then immediately put in an ice cube tray and froze when cool.  Came out perfectly.

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 00:43:16 am »
Thanks for all your inputs guys :) this is our second week of non rice cereal solids :)

She's already eaten sweet potato, avocado, banana and now carrots :) after that butternut squash. When did you guys end the 3-4 day rule?

So it's ok to add whole milk before freezing? My hubby and I are lactose intolerant and my baby is on similar sensitive so will that be ok?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 00:50:46 am »
Lactose intolerance (inability to digest the sugar in milk) is generally more of a problem with adults, but babies and adults alike can be intolerant the milk proteins in dairy.  So if you think your LO has a milk protein intolerance then I would avoid using milk in the baby food.

I think we stopped the 3 day rule with DS1 around 7mos.  If there are no known food intolerances and she seems to be doing well with all types of food, I think you can start to relax with food introduction after 6mos.  Be aware though that it becomes harder to figure out problematic foods if there is a reaction, but keeping a food log can help.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 20:41:32 pm »
Thanks Martina :)

So for the next 2 months I'm just planning on introducing fruits and vegetables.

When did you guys start giving food with texture?

I get scared with Ava coz sometimes she even chokes on her own saliva :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 20:58:50 pm »
I have found that some food gets lumpy after being frozen ( ie butternut squash) and Alexandra is fine with it... she makes a weird face,  but still eats it :)  She gags on her own spit too :)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 19:57:14 pm »
Thanks Kara...So how did you progressed from puree to a more textured food?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 20:24:00 pm »
I am still trying on a regular basis with little luck!  She isn't a fan of lumps yet!  I have some things that I mash with a fork instead of using the blender... and I also have tiny pasta meant for soups that I can add to give anything a bit of texture.

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 20:55:23 pm »
Hi guys! :) How's it going?

Ava is now 7.5 months and loving her fruits and veggies. I'm not currently dping my reseach on starting meats and other veggies which I have not introduced yet like white potatoes and pasta.

Can you share some experiences on freezing meat, specifically chicken? What about freezing cheese, pasta or potatoes? Any problems with that?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:25 am »
Hi DrLilac!

Glad to hear that Ava is doing so well with solids :)  I have made chicken puree with great success - just be careful when introducing it, it can cause an allergic reaction... I would use the 3 day wait rule before and after just to be vigilant.

I baked a couple of boneless, skinless chicken thighs until well done.  Put them in the fridge overnight and then rough chop them and into the blender they go.  Just pulse them and they will make a fine mince in a minute or so.   I used steamed pears for moisture and to make the flavour a bit more mild... DH tasted it (I am a vegetarian) and he said it wasn't bad ;)  Freezes awesome!  Dark meat has higher iron levels and lots of good fat for baby :)

I found that white potatoes don't freeze well on their own, but may if mixed with another veg or a fruit - I haven't tried though.  I have frozen pasta as part of a puree, but never on it's own.  I mixed broccoli, zuccini and pasta and DD loved it!

Cheese freezes well too.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 00:24:21 am »
Hi....can I post on this thread like this? Was reading through the first couple pages which sparked a question. I read many of you use cow's milk for purees bc it's acceptable for cooking after 6 months. So, do you add it while you're actually cooking, or not until after you've started to puree it in a blender/processor, etc?

Also, could I use almond milk instead? I've just been adding formula bc I thought I could only add bm or formula but I would LOVE to stop this and use almond milk!
Justine

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:00 am »
I would stick to formula for the time being hun... he is still quite young.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
Can you share some experiences on freezing meat, specifically chicken? What about freezing cheese, pasta or potatoes? Any problems with that?

I've always been able to freeze chicken and beef and fish dishes.  cheese totally fine too.  I tended to just freeze the sauces and cook the pasta fresh when i wanted it. 

Potatoes are fine in stews etc.  One thing is don't blend potatoes as they do really gloopy from all the starch (she she from experience after ruining a huge batch of stew I'd made to freeze) .  Its best to take the potatoes (white potatoes that is, sweet are fine) out and just mash them well with a fork and puree/blend the rest of the dish then add them back in.

Also, could I use almond milk instead? I've just been adding formula bc I thought I could only add bm or formula but I would LOVE to stop this and use almond milk!
I used cows milk but it was generally a tiny amount required in the cooking of something.  If it was for cereal or something that required a good bit of milk you would be best with formula.  But I can't find anything that says you couldn't use almond milk with we would use cooks milk so long as he's still getting formula in his bottles.  I know you can't use rice milk for under 5s any more but as far as I see almond milk is ok if its very small amounts in cooking.   Maybe check with your HV?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 15:21:09 pm »
Ok, thanks I see what you're saying. I haven't yet run into recipes that just call for a little milk so maybe that's why I was a little confused. I'll stick with formula for now and talk to the ped if I want to start using almond milk :)
Justine

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 19:16:31 pm »
Hi, I just wanted to say couple of words about the almond milk. My DD is MSPI and I'm using almond milk for all her solids since she was 7 months. Now she is 1 year and doing great with solids. I'm BF her and for all her purees and cereals I'm using Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk by Almond Breeze. It tastes sooo good! And my DD loves it. Besides almond milk has lots of calcium and usually they add other vitamins too. I'm not ready to try cow's milk with her and I just love cooking with almond milk. Our pediatrician told me "why not?" when I asked if I can use almond milk for cooking.