Author Topic: homemade baby food  (Read 7993 times)

Offline DrLilac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 20:55:23 pm »
Hi guys! :) How's it going?

Ava is now 7.5 months and loving her fruits and veggies. I'm not currently dping my reseach on starting meats and other veggies which I have not introduced yet like white potatoes and pasta.

Can you share some experiences on freezing meat, specifically chicken? What about freezing cheese, pasta or potatoes? Any problems with that?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: homemade baby food
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:25 am »
Hi DrLilac!

Glad to hear that Ava is doing so well with solids :)  I have made chicken puree with great success - just be careful when introducing it, it can cause an allergic reaction... I would use the 3 day wait rule before and after just to be vigilant.

I baked a couple of boneless, skinless chicken thighs until well done.  Put them in the fridge overnight and then rough chop them and into the blender they go.  Just pulse them and they will make a fine mince in a minute or so.   I used steamed pears for moisture and to make the flavour a bit more mild... DH tasted it (I am a vegetarian) and he said it wasn't bad ;)  Freezes awesome!  Dark meat has higher iron levels and lots of good fat for baby :)

I found that white potatoes don't freeze well on their own, but may if mixed with another veg or a fruit - I haven't tried though.  I have frozen pasta as part of a puree, but never on it's own.  I mixed broccoli, zuccini and pasta and DD loved it!

Cheese freezes well too.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 00:24:21 am »
Hi....can I post on this thread like this? Was reading through the first couple pages which sparked a question. I read many of you use cow's milk for purees bc it's acceptable for cooking after 6 months. So, do you add it while you're actually cooking, or not until after you've started to puree it in a blender/processor, etc?

Also, could I use almond milk instead? I've just been adding formula bc I thought I could only add bm or formula but I would LOVE to stop this and use almond milk!
Justine

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:00 am »
I would stick to formula for the time being hun... he is still quite young.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
Can you share some experiences on freezing meat, specifically chicken? What about freezing cheese, pasta or potatoes? Any problems with that?

I've always been able to freeze chicken and beef and fish dishes.  cheese totally fine too.  I tended to just freeze the sauces and cook the pasta fresh when i wanted it. 

Potatoes are fine in stews etc.  One thing is don't blend potatoes as they do really gloopy from all the starch (she she from experience after ruining a huge batch of stew I'd made to freeze) .  Its best to take the potatoes (white potatoes that is, sweet are fine) out and just mash them well with a fork and puree/blend the rest of the dish then add them back in.

Also, could I use almond milk instead? I've just been adding formula bc I thought I could only add bm or formula but I would LOVE to stop this and use almond milk!
I used cows milk but it was generally a tiny amount required in the cooking of something.  If it was for cereal or something that required a good bit of milk you would be best with formula.  But I can't find anything that says you couldn't use almond milk with we would use cooks milk so long as he's still getting formula in his bottles.  I know you can't use rice milk for under 5s any more but as far as I see almond milk is ok if its very small amounts in cooking.   Maybe check with your HV?

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 15:21:09 pm »
Ok, thanks I see what you're saying. I haven't yet run into recipes that just call for a little milk so maybe that's why I was a little confused. I'll stick with formula for now and talk to the ped if I want to start using almond milk :)
Justine

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 19:16:31 pm »
Hi, I just wanted to say couple of words about the almond milk. My DD is MSPI and I'm using almond milk for all her solids since she was 7 months. Now she is 1 year and doing great with solids. I'm BF her and for all her purees and cereals I'm using Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk by Almond Breeze. It tastes sooo good! And my DD loves it. Besides almond milk has lots of calcium and usually they add other vitamins too. I'm not ready to try cow's milk with her and I just love cooking with almond milk. Our pediatrician told me "why not?" when I asked if I can use almond milk for cooking.