Author Topic: Milk Allergy??  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Momma and Colin 2013
Milk Allergy??
« on: May 29, 2011, 15:59:04 pm »
Hello everyone,

My 13 month has been on 3% cow's milk (whole milk) for a week, along with breastmilk in the morning and usually some kind of dairy throughout the day. Before going to cow's milk  he had a small patch of eczema but no other known allergies.

Two days ago at daycare he threw up once but was fine the rest of the day. He was happy all day yesterday but after going to bed threw up a couple of times. This morning he seems happy.

My first thought is to cut the milk but his daycare also had the flu going around so I'm thinking that I really won't know for sure since it could be the flu or milk sensitivity. But do I keep giving milk and wait and see?? And can he just be 'allergic' to cow's milk and not cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc?

Thanks
Mama to Baby Colin

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Milk Allergy??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 16:41:58 pm »
We can eat yogurt in my family, but we do react to most other milk products, so to a point one can be selectively reactive.

I'd probably cut the milk till the flu has stopped while seeing if there are changes, and then once it's no longer going around try a milk challenge.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 17:57:29 pm »
I agree with Deb, that way you will know for sure.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Momma and Colin 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 22:15:46 pm »
Well he hasn't thrown up since last night but has water like BMs. The only new food has been the cow's milk so I'm putting him back on formula. Thanks ladies.
Mama to Baby Colin

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:56 am »
Let us know how it goes, definantly sounds like its worth taking the milk out.  The cows milk has the most protein content compared to the other dairy products so is likely to cause the most trouble to the gut.

Yoghurt is fermented, so that means that the proteins in the dairy are borken down and more easy to digest, and full of beneficial bacteria that aids in digestion.  Milk contains no beneficial bacteria or enzymes, and the proteins are  altered through the process of pasteurisation so that the body can hardly recognise them as food. That is why so many people have an immune response to milk.

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Momma and Colin 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 15:43:43 pm »
Well I had stopped the milk and went back to formula and he seemed to be getting better. No more throwing up since Saturday night and the runny water poop had stopped. But then at daycare yesterday it started up again and this morning he puked a bit as well as having multiple runny diapers. My DH is also stuck on the toilet and threw up yesterday so now I'm thinking it's the flu and not the milk! Oh how confusing.
Mama to Baby Colin

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 15:46:51 pm »
Or something else at the daycare, but yes, sounds like a proper bug. :( I'd still stay away from the dairy partly so you know for sure and partly because it can produce more mucous in the body and if there's flu, that's the last thing he needs!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 17:25:26 pm »
can he just be 'allergic' to cow's milk and not cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc?
I am intolerant to cows milk but am fine with cheese, etc above  - even if milk is heated about 72c I can tolerate it.

Does sound like bug - hope you're all better soon - but worth trying cows milk again later on and seeing.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Momma and Colin 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 19:35:31 pm »
Yes, I will have to try milk again once we're all better but I'm not looking forward to it (if it is the cause) because it was a week's worth of milk before a reaction (if it was a reaction). And I will feel bad possibly making him sick :(
Mama to Baby Colin

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 19:41:09 pm »
... but worth it, if you can find out for definite if he has a problem with it as it means you can avoid it until he is older (and can maybe start tolerating it) .. better than avoiding "just in case"
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Momma and Colin 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:19 am »
So I've reintroduced cows milk as of yesterday afternoon. He loves it and had quite a lot today :s. So far there have been no signs of intolerance/allergy but last time he had milk it was a week before the vomiting and watery BMs. 
Mama to Baby Colin

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:17:47 am »
that sounds positive and like it probably was a bug :) Murray's symptoms started the morning after we introduced milk again at his dinner time.  With me, I get gassy etc almost instantly!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
My first thought is to cut the milk but his daycare also had the flu going around so I'm thinking that I really won't know for sure since it could be the flu or milk sensitivity. But do I keep giving milk and wait and see?? And can he just be 'allergic' to cow's milk and not cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc?

Thanks

Sounds EXACTLY like my DS1.  We cut out all the milk until trying again at 18mo. (only an issue with milk)

Since found out (at 5yo) DS1 does have a dairy allergy (as do I) but he can tolerate certain amounts with no issue (bigger body, milk/food ratio different) , & processed dairy like yogurt, cheese, icecream &cooked milk are/were totally fine. Even now he is fine with lower fat milk, but give him (or me) full fat milk we react to it.

be mindful that my DS1 only threw up when he reached a certain threshold, so don't totally rule it out as a non issue.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05