Author Topic: could "over-feeding" be instigator of allergies?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: could "over-feeding" be instigator of allergies?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 13:12:57 pm »
{{hugs}}  We're here to help you where ever you need  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
The sufferers from these troubles are almost invariably overweight

DS dropped below the curves, was getting labelled 'Failure to Thrive' by the MW, and was feeding frequently enough but had digestive issues. It was MPI, not overfeeding. As PP have said, it's very difficult to overfeed an EBF baby!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:56 am »
Just saw this & haven't read the whole lot, but as a former Immunology researcher, here are a few points that totally make a mockery of frequent feeding causing allergies

1) food allergies & milk intolerance & MSPI is almost non existance in 3rd world countries
2) in 3rd world countries babies are demand fed, most if not all are actually attached to the breast for HOURS & it is actually common for night feeds to still exist in 3rd world countries well into 2nd year.

Based on research the biggest factor in MSPI & dairy allergy would actually be parents & grandparents who were fed straight cows milk as babies & then pass on the antibodies to their child.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »
Katet - do you have any of the research on MPSI that a non-scientist would understand? I can't tolerate cows milk, and neither can Murray (or soya) and wondering if Oliver is the same (am currently avoiding it, just in case) .... :) Would love to read a bit more about it
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!