Author Topic: mum in distress  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Jamichelle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 03, 2011, 19:06:39 pm »
i really need help, could you tell me the sign of lactose intolerance?? my dd4 is 4 months old and from 6 weeks she has been v hard work,she doesnt feed well she is still only taking between 3 and 4 oz and is not relaxed feeding :( she crys alot and in general is not a happy baby. she is on reflux meds which seem to help 4 short periods then not so much, she has been on lactose free milk but she didnt take much of it and didnt make much difference same with comfort milk,soya milk and she wouldnt touch the nutramigen so is now on cow and gate 4 hungry babies, i am at the end of my teather i dont know what to do next, do u think its food intolerence?reflux? or something else??? please help me

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: mum in distress
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 20:46:21 pm »
Hugs hun.  Lactose intolerance can cause some pretty drastic reactions.

Here is a link with a great bit of info:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_lactose-intolerance_1383929.bc

When is the last time that she was seen by the doctor regarding her reflux meds??  maybe she needs an increase in the dose or a different med??

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 20:51:39 pm »
What meds is she on, what dose and how much does she weigh? From what I know lactose intolerance is very rare, but milk/soy protien intolerance (MSPI) is much more common and can be the reason for reflux. The symptoms you describe certainly sound like uncontrolled reflux.

Maybe it would be worth trying the nutamigen again, it may be that you need to wean her onto so she gets used to the taste gradually by mixing it with the formula she is on now and gradually reducing the ordinary formula while increasing the nutramigen.

Laura

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:47:47 am »
Have a read of this:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

In short, true lactose intolerance is quite rare, where as milk protein intolerance is much more common.  The main focus on symptoms for food intolerances at that age would be mucus in her poops. There are pics of that in the above link.