Author Topic: solids and formula intake  (Read 1414 times)

Offline sunshine29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 09, 2011, 15:16:10 pm »
Hi there,

My DS is a very good size for his age. At 7.5mos he is 90th percentile for height and 95th percentile for weight and has always been on the high-end for intake.

I recently increased the amount at his meals to 3oz total (or 6tbsp of his various foods), but he hasn't seemed to reduce his formula intake at all. 

Do I need to cut back on his formula from bottles which is around 28oz/day or will he do it on his own?

Thanks!

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: solids and formula intake
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 15:24:41 pm »
Have you seen this thread?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57483.0

I don't think you need to cut back on his formula.  It sounds like it's just his nature to be able to eat a lot.  Now, if he was eating SO much solid food that it he wouldn't take his bottles, then I'd say cut back a bit on the solids.

HTH a bit.  Hopefully others will chime in, too :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline sunshine29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 00:38:17 am »
Thanks for your response. I think because he's on formula I always fear I'm over-feeding him :)

Its so hard to know with these los isn't it? Just as I posted this, it turns out that with teething lately he hasn't been taking as much formula as I think he needs!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:21:25 am »
They're pretty good at self-regulating and knowing when they've had enough...sometimes I wish *I* was that tuned-in to my own body, lol!  Teething can put them off food for a little bit; just keep offering what you normally would.  *hugs* to you both!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 17:55:53 pm »
I wouldn't worry either!  Depending on what you read, some books tell you that they will reduce food, others state that the solids will cover the increase in appetite and that the milk intake should remain stable at what it was before solids ;)

As long as he is getting 20 ozs a day, don't fret.  If he takes more, that's fine too.  Formula is #1 until he is a year :)