Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: strawberries
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:52 am »
Erm I think DD2 has had toast with a bit of peanut butter (mine that she nicked!) but I haven't gone out of my way to give her nuts. No allergies in our family fingers crossed so I'm not too worried about it...
DD1 doesn't really have them simply because she doesn't like them.
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
OH MY GOD!I had no idea about the strawberries thing. DD has had then a fair bit in the last week (chopped up for finger food) and has had her first eczema flare in 2 weeks just yesterday. Her tummy is covered in new patches of eczema and for the past 3 nights have had 2 hour long NW. I was getting despondant thinking that the dairy fee trial was a waste of time but perhaps strawberries are the culprit here?  ???

I cant believe she is under the care of a dietician and we were not told of this.  >:(

Also been giving blueberries. Are they ok?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:59:00 pm by ~Emma~ »

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 13:38:17 pm »
Blueberries should be okay, but for sure the strawberries could be the cause of the rash!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 13:58:11 pm »
I'd agree that the strawberries likely caused it. If she's not otherwise grumpy you can take them out and wait until she clears and then try again. My aunt was allergiv to strawberries as a child and quickly outgrew it.

Ironically (or thankfully) E is incredibly sensitive and already has a list of foods to avoid but cooked and pureed strawberries arejust fine.

Don't forget strawberries in a jar of baby food are generally cooked so it changes the composition. Some can tolerate storebought purees but not physical cut up raw strawberries.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 15:01:58 pm »
ds had peanut butter on toast from about 8 months with no reaction.  Dairy, well cooked eggs, meat, pasta, etc all ok from 6 months. Supposed to avoid honey, whole nuts (choking risk), high salt/sugar foods, etc but apart from that anything goes.  Citrus fruits, strawberries and raspberries and kiwis can all cause reactions

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 15:25:07 pm »
Blueberries are ok Emma.  I think there are several reasons why people avoid strawberries.  One is they tend to be one of the fruits that are very highly sprayed with pesticides.  Also, I think I remember Eloise saying awhile back that they are very high in salicylates, so if that is something you think your LO is sensitive too then strawberries could definitely be causing problems.  They are just one of those things some babies have more trouble with unfortunately (and too bad because they all seem to love them! :P).
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 19:27:01 pm »
We were told peanut butter is ok from ~8 months and Blueberries seem relatively safe on our DS tum - they certainly haven't flared up his reflux.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.