Author Topic: gagging  (Read 1379 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
gagging
« on: June 07, 2011, 18:50:48 pm »
my 9 1/2 month old gags on all thicker purees...equivalent to 3rd foods..I make a good portion of her foods but decided to buy the organic 3rd foods to be sure the texture was right and she gags to the point of turning red and choking.  snacks are also a problem for her...only does well with small pieces of soft bread and gerber puffs that melt in your mouth.  I tried small pieces of soft fruit but she wanted nothing to do with them.  I am working on extending the times between nursing and want to be sure she is getting enough food throughout the day but it's hard when she won't eat the bigger jars of food or any snacks...should i be concerned something is wrong with her having a sensitive gag reflex or just keep trying?
<3 Melissa

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Re: gagging
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 18:52:07 pm »
oh also you should know she only has two bottom teeth right now...
<3 Melissa

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 19:08:51 pm »
My DS had a sensitive gag reflex, too, and it took us until he was closer to 11mo to even get to stage 3 textures.  I don't think teeth make that much of a difference one way or another (DS had all but his molars in by the time he was 1yo).

Personally, I did a couple of things...well really 3:
1) I stopped trying to worry so much.  As long as you're conscious of where she needs to be heading, you're doing great! :)
2) I focused on one meal a day to introduce the finger foods/thicker textures (also helped with #1).  That eventually spread out to all meals once he got the hang of things.
3) I gradually increased the texture/thickness of his food.  For example, those stage 3 jars with the chunks of stuff...I started off mashing up the chunks.  Once he could handle that, I mashed them less and less and less until he was able to eat those.

HTH a bit!  There a lots of moms here who have wonderful tips and suggestions; I'm sure they'll chime in, too. :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 19:19:53 pm »
Thanks so much...I will try the mashing thing.  This is why I don't make her food much anymore because I wasn't sure exactly how thick to make it...plus making meats was a bit intimidating for me...thanks for the tips ;)
<3 Melissa

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 00:42:34 am »
I think Sara has given excellent advice.  :)  I would really try not to worry about it, some babies skip stage 3 altogether and go straight to finger foods, and some need a little longer to get used to texture, etc. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:35:34 am »
Thank you...we had issues months ago with possible reflux so i was worried about swallowing and her gagging maybe being an issue...glad to hear its fairly common
<3 Melissa