Author Topic: EleCare  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
EleCare
« on: June 07, 2011, 19:04:31 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the dairy/soy free formula EleCare? I am thinking about starting to supplement a little formula because I feel like my supply is decreasing. I am super nervous to introduce something new to DS's system.
Katie

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: EleCare
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 20:10:16 pm »
Does your lo have any intolerances or allergies that you know of?  Elecare is an elemental formula (all proteins are broken down into individual amino acids) and is normally used as a type of medical food for children that have severe digestive issues or multiple allergies.

It's also about $50 a can, although you could probably find it a bit cheaper if you searched around.

What about Alimentum or Nutramigin?  These are still very easily digested and suitable for many children with allergies and intolerances. 

Just trying to get a gauge on why you want Elecare - we do have experience with it, although not good experience;)  But that's just due to the complexities of our particular situation. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 20:12:24 pm by maggie2 »

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 00:10:47 am »
My DS has a dairy/soy intolerance and I EBF him. He is 6 months tomorrow! I really want to keep breast feeding but I want to make sure I have something as a back up just in case he isn't getting enough from me. I have heard that Nutramigin has some traces of soy and dairy. My guy will definitely react to a trace!

Why did you have a bad experience with EleCare?
Katie

Offline maggie2

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:18 am »
my ds had a dairy and soy intolerance as an infant (bloody and mucusy poos) and he did great on alimentum - I think that even though the proteins are derived from dairy, they're broken down so many kids can tolerate it.

But obviously not all cant.

Good idea to have a back-up plan though - starting with elecare could probably work if he'd accept it (it's really really GROSS!) - if he really reacts strongly to dairy and soy I'd probably do the same thing.

I don't know why our dd didn't do well on it - we had to stop bf'ing abruptly and she needed to be fed through an ng tube with the elecare.  She would vomit it all up violently shortly after almost every feeding.  It could have either been irritation from the tube (although eventually I was able to try breast milk again and she tolerated that just fine through the tube) or the fact that she was reacting to the formula itself, which is not really supposed to happen.

I can only imagine that if a child has a sensitivity to corn that they could react to elecare - the first ingredient is corn syrup solids (different from HFCS).  But who am I to question (at least according to the doctors;) - who also, by the way, assured me it was okay because it was made of "corn starch".  whatever.  I obviously have some baggage there;)  Maybe I'm not the best person to be giving you advice on elecare, lol!

But seriously, it's supposed to be the least 'reactive' thing you can get as far as formula is concerned.  And if you just want to have it on hand in case you need something to supplement your own milk supply, cost shouldn't be as much as a factor.  The biggest thing I can see you having an issue with is getting him to accept it.

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:11:12 am »
That is good to know.. I hadn't heard that it was gross! :)
Interesting you mentioned that it is corn based. I recently had some corn chips and he has had a dot of blood in his stool a couple of times. I had a bad experience eating out 4 weeks ago (they said no soy in sauce and obviously there was  - huge bloody diaper and I could taste it!). So the blood could be from that still but I have worried about the corn chips!

I am so worried about upsetting his tummy by adding something new.. and now I have to start thinking about solids! Ugh!
Katie

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:38:09 am »
I have no experience with elecare but we used neocate from 10.5 months with my ds. It does not taste good by my ds soon got used to it.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 21:08:44 pm »
thanks everyone! Thankfully, my doc doesn't think I need to start formula so I can not worry about formula for a little while longer! Hurray!
Katie

Offline maggie2

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 00:42:16 am »
good news!!!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:40:27 am »