Author Topic: Help weaning a supersensitive LO (sorry a bit long)  (Read 1786 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help weaning a supersensitive LO (sorry a bit long)
« on: June 07, 2011, 22:17:02 pm »
C is turning 6 mos and I know I must start weaning; she is ready.  But I don't think her gut is.  Should I wait or start now?  Her mucous poos have gotten so much better.  But we still have a ways to go and I think her gut just needs a bit more time to heal.  Got a slap on the wrist from paed today for not starting already  ::) 

Some background...we've been dealing with lots of gut damage from months of irritants and likely a leaky gut scenario.  I now know it goes back to a strong course of antibiotics I took the week she was born.  And I just wish I knew then what I know now.  So for months, her good gut bacteria has been out of whack and leading to lots of issues.  At one point, it seemed like she was reacting to almost everything - dairy/soy/eggs/gluten/nuts, high sals and high oxalate foods.  I fear part of that comes down to my diet being so restricted but it is kind of a circular equation because we are trying to give her gut a break and heal. We are finally seeing some progress with poos returning to normal which gives me motivation to continue.  Along with a "hypoallergenic diet", I'm taking probiotics, digestive enzymes and a small dose of glutamine.  I'm eating lots of meats, fish, mainly whole grain rice and lentils, hemp milk, and some supplements like flax seed oil.

so now how do I wean her? Our GI and paed both suggested starting with only fruits and vegs.  Which I agree with but I struggle to find anything that is low in chemicals and oxalates and won't further irritate gut.  I've come up with Swede and maybe golden delicious apple to start.  She has reacted to pears through my BM so will stay away from that.  She tolerates rice well through my diet but I am not sure going with a grain is the right way to start considering how sensitive she is..  i can't even think of any options for a finger food - rice cakes but is she too young? 

The whole thing is really worrying me.  Will she ever be able to tolerate a wide range foods? Please tell me with time she will get stronger and her gut will eventually recover?  I am just so nervous to erase the progress we've made these past few weeks but equally I feel horrible not starting her on foods when she is so interested and showing signs she wants to start eating.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Help weaning a supersensitive LO (sorry a bit long)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 20:21:00 pm »
Bumping for you x

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 21:15:47 pm »
I dont know about the future

I have a "super sensitive" baby, infact at 7 months she is now on her second week of weaning due to alot of problems with baby rice

The best thing to start with, is PEAR! MAKE SURE ITS RIPE I made the mistake of feeding Alyssa unripe
you have to peal it and boil it then blend it

we started weaning with alternative days so for example she had food MONDAY WEDNESDAY FRIDAY SUNDAY for week one giving her body a break on the other days When she handled that i then went onto giving it every day

dietion said only try new foods every two weeks no quicker our next food next week we will be trialing is swede the difference being is monday wednesday friday she will have swede and tuesday and thursday she will have pear which she is alright with

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 23:26:59 pm »
Thanks Louisa! That is helpful to hear how you are doing it.  Our paed recommended only one new food per week but I really like your idea of every other day.  I think giving her extra time to recover will be a great way to start out given she is sooo sensitive.  Thanks also for the tip on ripe pear  ;)

I tried her on a little baby rice today and she seemed OK but it was just day one and I'm watching closely to see how it goes. I decided to start on rice because although it is a grain and I know harder to digest, it is one of the very few foods she has been doing well with on my ED. So i felt it was a safe try.  We shall see though. Next up will be pear. And then I was planning on swede for veg.  That should get us to 7 months old. We are baby steps over here.. no rush right?

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:47:08 am »
Exactly my thoughts, we are lucky as we are on neocate now she doesnt NEED the food and if your baba isnt screaming for food after feeds yours doesnt either so it gives the space for the baby steps

btw i think its really bad your pead putting pressure for you to start already some babys aren't ready at bang on 6 months for weaning a fe friends LO were not ready till 8/9 months

I would wait on the golden delicious apple for now, I know she might of been fine with it through you but it is a moderate sal

the low chem foods I have on a list here are

White Potato (peeled)
Beans (Butter, french, string or snake)
Bean shoots
Cabbage
Brussel sprouts
Celery
Choko
Swede
and mung bean sprouts

and the only low chem fruit is the Ripe pear, we had a slight reaction because we were giving unripe pear (I don't like it so i didnt know how to tell it was ripe) and Eloise pointed out thatt was Moderate in Sals

It doesnt give alot of room to move about with it but a baby could live off pear and swede if it needed to as it still has its milk for now

Also because when weaned at 6 months they need finger foods quickly which on a strict diet it makes it hard, if she tollerates rice thats good as then theres ricecakes

my plan is making swede chips big thick chunky (well babys hand) sized peices of swede lightly boiled and then oven cooked to give it a light coating so she can hold it without it turning to mush

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:03 am »
Hi Jen, 

Just saw this. Yes I think it will be hard to find some foods she can tolerate, but if you are happy for her to have a super  restircted diet whilst her gut heals then go for it.   I think that if you can jsut get on her a couple of things that she tolerates you can be quite creative with how you present them in regards to texture etc. 

Many reflux and food intolerant bubs struggle with a grains as a starting food espeically if there is gut damage.  Just see how she goes, but don't despair if she can't digest them well and gets super constipated or starts showing very obvious discomfort.

Yes, swede is an excellent option in my book. 

Just looking at the RPAH guide for low chemical foods, the other best bet would be choko if you can get your hands on them.

In order these are the foods we did:
baby rice (check that it is rice only and no herbal preservative or anything else)
swede (great for a finger food roasted or in patties)
potato
choko
chicken
pear  (but we weren't able to get him totolerate them until about 4 weeks later)
rice bran oil
celery (great for a finger food if you can shave off the strginy bits)

Then we went to
Lamb
homemade chicken stock from chicken carcass and low chem veges  ( sooo nourishing think of all the calcium and minerals coming out of the bones and  and gelatinous stuff that will aid in digestion)
green beans
quinoa (puffed and rolled)
millet (puffed and rolled)
amaranth (puffed and rolled)

dairy free marg
brussel sprouts
lentils  - 1 teaspoon a day at first due to prebiotic nature
kidney beans (1 teaspoon a day at first)

If you can get her onto chicken stock somehow then that will open up so many options to you, even low chemical risotto, pilafs, casseroles, soups, gluten free (rice and quinoa pasta) and sauces.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
Jen as your in the uk Organix baby rice is just pure babyrice labeled as gluten free and with no junk