Author Topic: When do you phase out sippy cups? Also when do you introduce cutlery?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
My LO self feeds finger foods but won't use a spoon (goes straight on the floor).  He will also only sometimes pick up the sippy cup and use it.  Normally I hold it for him.  He's 13 months now, when did your babies learn these things?  Also when do you move up from a sippy cup?  He will drink from a normal cup but it's messy and I very much need to hold it for him!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
Hey

We started really early but then DS is obsessed with cups of any kind. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much. He'll get there in the end. You could make sure he sees you eating with cutlery and always make sure he has a spoon and fork at the table even if he does throw it down. I think its fine to start with a fork at this age too. Also, if you are able to just accept the mess then helping him with a cup could speed things up a bit. And, I'd stop holding the sippy for him as much and let him try to do it himself...but really, don't sweat it! He's not going to be eating like this when he's 21 (i hope! lol!)

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
I agree with Chicane...he'll get there and to always have the fork/spoon next to him.

DS is 2 and is good with using his utensils if the food is easy to use them on.  Otherwise, he gets frustrated and ends up using his hands.  When he gets to that point, we do try to help him but don't stress too much.  He was about your LO's age when we first started helping him with a spoon (fork came a little later).  If you have something that will cling to the spoon, that makes it easy for them to get *something* into their mouth, even though they're not as efficient--or clean--as they'll eventually be. :)

As for the sippy cup, I would let him start doing it more and more.  DS still drinks from a sippy cup about 95% of the time, but we work with him on drinking from normal cups now and then.  It's a process :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:43:14 pm by ~Sara~ »
*formerly tersaseda*