Author Topic: Sausages  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Sausages
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:32 am »
Our nursery has fed my 13 month old sausages a few times.  I've always been too worried because of the choking risk.  Do you give your LO sausages, if so, do you chop them up really small?  Also what age can he have salamis etc?  We have a lot of chorizo in our food which I've not given him yet.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45:05 pm »
I can't remember what age I gave my boys sausages, but I know my DS2 ate them for his first Birthday, so I probably gave them before that age.
I can't say I was ever overly worried about the choking risk with food & certainly my children never had an issue in that way, but my children were very good at chewing food & I don't really recall cutting them up really small at 1y either as both were eating steak at that age & managed (one with only 4 teeth) to do a good job with all meats.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:50:06 pm »
I also don't remember when I gave DD1 sausages.  Does nursery cut them up?  If they do they should cut them legnthwise then crosswise.  That way there should be no risk of choking.  

As for salami I don't know that there is a set rule about when to give it to them.  I think you just need to make sure LO is ok with spices particularly the ones in the meat if you can and make sure you get good quality cuts.  Here in Canada we now have two brands (schneiders country naturals and one by maple leaf) of lunch meat, bacon, hot dogs, etc that are made without nitrates.  So everything is all natural.  That makes me feel better about giving them to the kids since I actually know what the ingredients are when I read them.  :)  That being said I don't hesitate to let DD1 have the odd regular hot dog, etc.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Sausages
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:49 am »
Tbh, working in food I'd rather the nitrates are in and I just give them to him occasionally.  Nitrates are really handy for preventing botulism!

I might give it a go, as you said, I wasn't intending on cutting them into discs.  I gave my son strips of chicken tikka yesterday (mild, home made version) and he was fine with them so perhaps he's better at chewing (and spices) than I thought.

I think there is a suggestion you should save cured meats until after the age of 1 as some are uncooked and many are high in salt but I was thinking of cooking them anyway.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/