Author Topic: DS2 on food strike at nursery!!  (Read 1645 times)

Offline rach321

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
DS2 on food strike at nursery!!
« on: June 08, 2011, 20:03:54 pm »
So DS2 is teething and has just started nursery and will not eat anything there except his bottles.  He has been a bit hit and miss at home but will generally eat pretty much anything, if he doesn't fancy mush then he gets finger food. My nursery are really good and keep offering him food and will even do a special finger food version for him but he's still not interested.  Poor little guy got home this evening and stuffed his face.  Any ideas how to fix this??  DS1 is at the same nursery and was really fussy as a baby and he eats just fine there so I know there is nothing wrong with the food, DS2 complicates things slightly by being dairy free but they are used to dealing with food allergies etc so its not like there's nothing he can eat.
Please help me get my little man to eat at nursery - I can't bare being at work all day wondering if the poor guy is starving!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: DS2 on food strike at nursery!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 20:46:38 pm »
I've got (((hugs))) but not much advice unfortunately! Dylan is often hit or miss at daycare too, sometimes eating loads but often eating a tiny bit or nothing at all. And his daycare is very good at dealing with his allergies and ensuring that there are at least a couple safe options for every meal and snack for him. There are days that he comes home and stuffs his face like he's not eaten in weeks, and days when he has almost no supper at all. Sometimes I feel like he survived all day on soy milk, 2 bites of banana, and licking the margarine off his bread ::) I just remember that all I can do is offer safe, nutritious options (at home and daycare) and he will decide whether or not he wants to eat.

The just starting nursery might be a factor too - as he gets more comfortable with the environment he will likely eat more. Also, are they offering pain meds if he's teething?
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 19:27:32 pm »
It must be a Dylan thing!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 22:07:33 pm »
Lol!!

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 20:22:42 pm »
Just realised this is in eating for toddlers - he's only 6 months oid!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:45:42 am »
Oh, that makes a difference, doesn't it? Honestly though, my advice is the same, except that now I'm even less worried that he's not eating solids. Before age 1 solids are only meant to be for fun and exploring new tastes and textures, rather than being for actual nutrition. As long as he's taking his bottles that's fine, and as he adjusts to the daycare routine he'll get used to eating solids there too. There really is no way to 'get' them to eat - all they (and you!) can do is offer :)

I'll get someone to move this thread for you :-*