Author Topic: Help me make a food trial plan PLEASE!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Help me make a food trial plan PLEASE!
« on: June 09, 2011, 20:00:46 pm »
Okay so we acidently Trialed moderate sals and it caused some issues so we wont be doing them.

Her Dietion wants her to trial non wheat gluten (so oat gluten or something)

and rice as well (we had a reaction to baby rice with strings of mucus after 3 days!  we have never gotten to the blood stage with any nappys but i think a couple more days on the rice we would of)

and also trial gluten free oats

she also wanted a trial of moderate sals but we did that as i said and it didnt work lol

We have 3 months to trial all this which seems alot

since she is only for the last few days been on food every day ( we alternate new foods every other day because her gut is extra sensitive)

Rice we started weaning on and as i said had a big problem with so I don't want to do that first

I was thinking to try

Gluten free oats in a months time

in a further month to trial non wheat gluten (best way to trial PLEASE, if she took okay to oats, I would trial oats containing gluten but if she doesnt is there another way to trial this? )

that would give us 2 weeks untill her dietion apointment which I think I wont be doing rice untill after that now

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Help me make a food trial plan PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:48 am »
Hey Louisa, 

Hmm I really don't want to contradict the advice of your dietician  ( as my dietician said to try gluten free oats for one the first grains, and was about the 15th food on her list)  BUT

As for the first gluten free grain to try: - my naturopath who is far more an expert than my dietician  has said
"no go" for gluten free oats for Kai, even now at 14 months. For two reasons they are extremely hard to digest, and that he has not even stomach acid on the Losec.  She said to wait till he was 4 weeks off the Losec before trialling them.  He eats every other gluten free grain though (all pre-soaked).

As far as digestability of the other grains, I am not sure which is the best.  Maybe one with the least phytic acid like millet.

But I do know this:
ALL grains should be soaked in water for 8-24 hours before giving them to LO.   You are supposed to soak them with something fermented like yoghurt or lemon juice, you can't do it with her diet restrictions but soaking in warm water alone will improve the digestability.

See a link I just found here on google:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/04/whole-grains-grinding-soaking.html

This is a quote From a great cookbook and nutritional reference that I have:
"All grains contain phytic acid (an organic acid in which phosphorous is bound) in the outer layer or bran. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron especially zinc in the intestinal track and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in unfermented whole grains may led to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects. Soaking allows enzyme, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid. As little as seven hours of soaking in warm acidulated water will neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. The simple practice of soaking cracked or rolled cereal grains overnight will vastly improve their nutritional benefits."

From Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, by Sally Falon.

I would try to eat as many veges and then meat proteins as possible that are low chemical first, put homemade chicken stock  on that list, so she can beneift from the calcium and minerals that cook out of the bones as well as the nutrient rich natrual gelatin that aids in digestion.  Then maye I would trial grains.

It leaves you high and dry for breakfast though. :-\  So you might feel that you need to get at least one gluten free grain under you belt that way you can do the "rolled version" as a porridge for breakfast and then add puree pear through it for flavour.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:28:08 am »
Thanx Eloise theres no reason why for now she can't just have fruit purree for breakfast anyway

Whats the best gluten containing grain to try? she really wants to trial gluten while avoiding wheat

Offline EloysH

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
well it would be oats then I think.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 20:56:06 pm »
That leaves us a bit up a creak

Dietion is really big on trying non wheat gluten but ya know what sod her! lol Ive now decided I wont try oats yet and definatly not gluten yet

esp after our current blip

Offline EloysH

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:48 am »
Yeah there is plenty of time to trial gluten.  We are not trying till 18 months...  he's had a few sraps of toast here and there but not anymore.