Author Topic: 12 mo. old Throws Food  (Read 2111 times)

Offline justme119

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 10, 2011, 16:04:47 pm »
My Spirited 1 yr old is generally a good eater but has a habit of throwing finger food off her tray. Does anyone have tips on how I can teach her that this is unacceptable? I have always told her "no, we don't throw food" and try to help her place the food back on the tray if I catch her in time. I read in the Baby Whisperer SAYP book that for older toddlers you need to remove the child from the highchair when this happens. At what age do you start using this method? It seems like she sends food flying whenever she is frustrated because she can't pick something up, if she doesn't like it or when she is full. But she also seems to throw it randomly in between bites sometimes!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:08:06 am »
Going to move this over to Eating for Toddlers since your LO is 12mos :)

BTW I have a food thrower too and it sucks.  :P  I try not to let him have too much on his tray at once.  If he is really going at it then I say he's done and put him down.  If he's throwing it he obviously doesn't want to eat it! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 12 mo. old Throws Food
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:46:52 am »
Hi we have the same here. I try to ignore it as much as possible as if DD gets a reaction (or I try to stop her or pick it up) she does it all the more, like it is a game. Like Martina said, my DD usually only throws food when she has had enough or doesn't want it, so I kind of take that as my hint that she has finished.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:00 am »
We have the same.  My 13 month old is pretty chilled out in lots of ways but he loves throwing food.  It's not to bad at home but when we eat out it's a nightmare.  The amount of times I've been glared at by waiters!  The other problem I have is until he's a bit tidier, we have to eat in the kitchen as our dining room is part of the lounge.  Even a mat doesn't contain the mess and it's very difficult to clean up once he's out of the high chair (he wants to be crawling or cruising) but I know by this age we should be having most of our meals together.  It just means I'm perched on a fold out chair in our tiny kitchen though!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:55 am »
We have the same problem over here.  I too just reviewed the BWSAYP and saw the same thing.  I had just been ignoring my DS when he did that, but not really taking him out of his high chair as soon as he starts.  I am going to start doing that.  And I think that even though I've thought I haven't been giving him a reaction, I think I have, so I need to work on that.  It's very frustrating, especially when they don't have any words (mine doesn't).

Lemonthyme - I feel your pain! DH is so embarrassed by me because I'm always picking up food that he throws in restaurants, but I feel so bad -- it's not the waiter's fault!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:24 am »
I always ask for a broom at the end of the meal, lol.  Most of the time they say don't worry about it, but I always make sure to ask first!  That's why we only dine at family restaurants.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:28:56 pm »
Haha, us too. :) 
--Nicole

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 17:56:15 pm »
It frustrates me though when they give you a highchair without a tray.  My LO will eat so much better if there's a tray and he can't exactly be held accountable for dropping food without one when he's 13 months old!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:51 am »
I agree.  It's a pain, but we often bring a booster seat with a tray that straps onto a chair because he seems to do a bit better in it.  Restaurant high chairs tend to be a disaster for us in general.  Not only does he seem to be more likely to throw food, but even when strapped in, he's climbing out, he's turning around, he's hanging over the side...crazy!  Not only am I then stressed about him throwing food in a public place, but I'm scared to death that he is going to get injured with all of his gymnastics!

We went out for dinner last night as DH got home from work early.  We went to an outdoor restaurant so I didn't feel as bad about the food on the floor as I usually do.  However, when we were leaving, it just looked so gross because it had all been stepped on by the waitresses and mashed into the ground by the time we left.  He actually got a few pieces of food into his mouth last night which was good, but it was an effort.  He is totally playing me though.  There is no doubt in my mind! I can't believe I continuously get outsmarted by a 14 month old! :)
--Nicole

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:22 am »
It's a pain, but we often bring a booster seat with a tray that straps onto a chair because he seems to do a bit better in it.
We do this too sometimes.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010