Author Topic: 10.5 mth old spoon refusal and throwing food  (Read 1908 times)

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
10.5 mth old spoon refusal and throwing food
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:50 am »
My LO has always been an enthusiastic eater and has 3 good solid meals a day but gradually I have noticed he is getting harder and harder to feed. He will self feed finger food a little and insists on holding a spoon but I am having to sneak spoonfuls in there and distracting him to feed him. He is no longer opening up and asking for more. He is throwing a lot of his food on the floor and his spoon also and if I don't pick it back up and give it to him he leans over and looks at it and fusses and I can't get a bite in there. Should I just stop picking his spoon up and stop sneaking food into him and hope he realises that if he wants food to ask for it again?? or just keep doing what I am doing and hope he grows out of this? He is unhappy with meal time although I try to keep it fun and interesting. It takes quite a bit of tricks and distractions to get through a meal. Looking forwards to him feeding himself happily!! He is a very big boy at 24 lbs/10.5 mths and is fed a good variety of all food groups.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: 10.5 mth old spoon refusal and throwing food
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 14:21:30 pm »
Hi there!  It sounds like very normal behaviour for his age.  Often around this time a lot of babies start becoming less interested in being fed and more interested in finger foods, which is fine.  Usually you don't want to try and trick or force him into eating.  Rather give him lots of options that he can feed himself.

Here are a few helpful links:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182686.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 14:53:24 pm »
Dear, Toffer, you seem to have the classic baby behaviour there. The non-eating could be : teething, not hungry, snacked already or just wants to practice finger foods! However you are re-inforcing it by turning it into a game. The BW books address this issue and recommends taking the baby out of a chair (bib-off) and saying, 'oh well you are not that hungry then. We'll try later.' Try again in a few minutes. If after after being offered to go back into high chair the baby carries on throwing, just take out and do not offer any snacks till next meal when you put the baby in the high chair. The baby won't starve, but will eventually get the point that we eat at the table, not play. Having said this, all babies love finger foods at that stage and self-feeding with a hand or a spoon. It is a real milestone and I remember encouraging it with DD and now am trying with DS. So I bought a recipe book of baby and toddler finger foods and used that. Or when they like to pick up small bits (pincer grip) I used to make peas for my DD to pick up while I gave her other parts of her meal by spoon. Also this was the age/stage when my DD stop liking things that are like a puree or porridge or soup and liked more things that had more texture to them/ things to bite. For good finger foods recipes I used Annabel Karmel's book.
Hope this helps.

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 22:07:28 pm »
This morning he refused to eat anything and threw all his food on the floor, so I took him down and put him on the floor. He went to daddy to be picked up but we left him down and tried again 5 minutes later but never really got any food in him so left it till lunch. He again threw a lot of his food on the floor but I was able to spoon in all his puree foods. He has been such a big eater I am scared to let him not eat anything! I guess I am worried about night wakings again from hunger...He has a new tooth coming in and was sick last couple days so I am hoping that is why, tho I know I need to change the way I feed him. He used to open his mouth to ask for food but I think I feed him too fast and don't let him ask for more before I am sticking another spoonful in there!

Offline katyusha

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
How are you today? I feel your pain about the teeth. My DS has no teeth yet and is teething badly. He wants to bite his spoon and given half a chance his plate as well. So I keep his plate out of his way. How is yours  with his liquids?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:17:26 am »
My LO has gone through periods of this since I started feeding him.  He's now 13 months.  Sorry!  Some days especially if he's teething everything goes on the floor.  This recipe though all went in his mouth; he didn't drop one:

Salmon and spinach fishcakes:  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/06/salmon-and-spinach-fishcakes-for-babies.html

It also has the benefit of omega 3, folates etc so it's really good for him too!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline katyusha

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 15:07:58 pm »
Toffer, I take it no news is good news? Is he eating better? Our DS got his first tooth last week! Plus the finger foods are finally going in his mouth so that takes his mind off throwing things.