Author Topic: Late NF messes up next days EASY!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Brige

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:41:57 am »
Morning!

MY DS is 7 months old. He is on a 4 hour EASY (starting at 6am), 3 solids meals a day and one NF. I have never tried the DF as my gut was never 100% convinced about wakling a sleeping baby. I always just let him wake for a bottle when he needed to. He usually wakes between 12 and 3am for a bottle.

BUT....last night he woke for a bottle at 4.30am!! Still up at normal time, but now won't take the morning bottle as it is so close to the NF. What to do??? Entire day on EASY is thrown off!!!???

Help this mad mommmy please!!!????

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Late NF messes up next days EASY!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:42:01 am »
These babies do like to make life awkward for us ;).

There are a few things that should work, so it's up to you what will suit you better. You can try and resettle without feeding - if he is getting enough formula and eating solids well he is at the stage when he doesn't really need that feed any more. The DF is dropped around 7/8 months, so the expectation is that by now with solids and milk feeds they *should* be able to go from bedtime to wake up without a feed. Just as an aside, you don't wake for the DF, you pick them up asleep and they drink while asleep then you gently put them back down again!

You could give a reduced bottle at the wake up, just enough to tide him over and resettle or you can give a full feed and then just a top up at wake up to get him through his first EASY cycle.

I think at 7 months, if you don't want to just resettle I would start reducing the nightfeed by 1oz every 3 days so you are weaning him off it gradually. This is what we did with my DD, she wouldn't take a DF so we just let her wake when she was hungry. By 8 months we knew she didn't need the NF so we reduced it by 1oz every 3 nights, we got down to 3oz and one night she didn't wake for it. She did wake the night after so we just offered her water and resettled. She wasn't too pleased but it only took a few nights of being offered water and she stopped waking at all.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 16:31:38 pm »
I did the same thing as Laura has suggested when DD was doing exactly the same thing to me... waking really late in the morning and then refusing her morning bottle... it does mess up your day!  ;)

Offline Brige

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:16:30 am »
So as you all know, with being a parent, comes a new challenge every day. And when one gets sorted out, another comes up! And we just put on our thinking caps and with a whole lot of love, waddle through it!!! Out late night feedings are a thing of the past. DS wakes every other night for a NF - seems to be dropping it - and I still offer him his morning bottle, to top him up and carry on with our EASY day. Does not seem to be an issue for him. He takes a little if not hungry, and after hi AM nap, goes back to taking his bottle without me stressing!!!

On to the next challenge ; )

Thanks for your advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:29:10 am »
YAY!