Author Topic: How long?  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: How long?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 17:33:01 pm »
PS Have you posted in the bottle feeding board? I am not sure how much formula they should be taking at that age. FWIW my 10 month old nephew is only taking bottles at night at the mo!

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 17:48:27 pm »
I think the amount of Formula should be between 18 and 24 ounces per day.  You can also add a couple of punches to her Slids when she will actually start eating them again.  Have you been to see the GP about an antihistamine ton help her with the itching?
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 18:53:49 pm »
 Well as quick as the skin flared it has gone back down again I'm pleased to say. Tonight I lathered her in emollient and it looks so much better than it has been the last few days. Her sleep has improved too. For now anyways....

Its about 20oz thats the recommended amount at this age which is why I am so anxious about how little she's taking. Today however she took 19oz but I did sweeten it. I'll do the banana thing tomorrow.

Neocate do flavouring for the formula but y'know what? I know this sounds awful but I dont have the battle in me to get it kwim? My HV and GP are total PITA, the dietician is great so I suppose I should speak to her and get her to request the HV write a script for it?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 19:37:17 pm »
Emma, I think that the dietician would have to prescribe it through the GP anyway. Even Olly's bread had to come through her first!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 19:41:05 pm »
Murray's dietician wrote to his doctor and asked him for the neocate prescription
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 20:27:26 pm »
If the banana works the that would be great. To be honest from everything I have read the flavour packets are not that great. e did not try them so can't comment personally. When they tried to move James from neocate advance to neocate active they gave us the one that was blackcurrant flavoured and he hated it. I don't blame him to be honest as it smelt like blackcurrant dioralyte (sp?). I hope your dd drinks plenty of neocate tomorrow.

Hugs Kelly x

PS if your dd takes the neocate sweetened with a little sugar and not the banana I would not worry about it to much as you can always gradually wean the sugar. This way at least she is getting the nutrients she needs.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 20:34:19 pm »
 I'm going to try the banana first. Do you think I'll need to put a bigger teat on the bottle?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 21:23:25 pm »
I would definitely try the banana first. I am not sure if you will need to put a bigger teat on the bottle or not. I guess it will depend how much thicker the banana makes the neocate. If you have bigger eats then you could try the normal one but have the bigger teat to hand just in case you need it.

Kelly x

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 06:34:03 am »
would she manage to drink through a straw? it may be a bit thick to drink through a bottle but you could always sieve it first
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 11:09:45 am »
I guess it depends how much banana you use. As long as its blitzed well it should have no lumps.

Have you tried it yet Emma?

Kelly x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 16:16:41 pm »
Or use a sippy cup??

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 19:23:51 pm »
 The banana milk was a disaster. I made it up and it wont go through a no 2 teat. The no 3 and the variflow are just too fast (bearing in mind she os used to the breast it must feel REALLY fast!) She's not even the sort of bub I can get used to a fast flow, she just refuses to drink it. Absolutely refuses. I sieved it but still no dice. Tried it in a sippy but nope, she only likes water from a sippy. Wondering if I should invest in a straw cup....

I had to resort back to the sugar. Ugh, it feels so wrong but today she took 2 full bottles, the first full bottles in 2 weeks.

Upside!  ;D I was popping her emollient on tonight and OMG all her patches have just cleared up super quick. 2 days ago she was getting new patches (i have a feeling that was either strawberries or blueberries that did that though...tried blueberries again today so we'll see...). Its just gone. For the first time sice she was a teeny tiny bub she has almost clear skin. I cant believe it.  ;D

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 20:23:23 pm »
Strawberries are a really common problem food.  Great to hear her skin is improving though :)  I think adding a bit of sugar is fine as she is getting all the nutrients from the formula - so many kids her age get lots of sugar in cakes, etc and the jars of desserts often have sugar added to them! 

I would try a straw or straw cup or doidy cup - just see what she prefers ....

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 20:32:01 pm »
At the ed of the day Emma at least she is drinking the neocate and getting the nutrients she needs, you can always wean the sugar slowly over time.

It might be worth trying a straw cup to see if she will take the banana milk that way.

I am so glad glad your dd's skin is so much better, that is fantastic news ;)

Kelly x