Author Topic: Is oat milk ok as a milk feed after 12mo??  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Is oat milk ok as a milk feed after 12mo??
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:36 am »
She is still bf at bedtime and is MPI and generally has one bottle of nutramigen in the day (I work p/t) The paed suggested she shouldn't really be on nutramigen past 12mo and that suits me fine. But I'd like to still be able to give her a bottle of milk in the day, comfort more than anything and it's good for her other care-givers to have it as an option. Can she have oatmilk as this drink??
I intend to keep bf at bedtime for the time being..

TIA xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Is oat milk ok as a milk feed after 12mo??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:23 am »
Yes - the calcium fortified variety is just fine - that was our plan with Meg if she was still MPI. As longas she isn't gluten sensitive.

PS There is no reason why she can't stay on nutramigen - your GP just likely doesn't want to pay for it past 12 mths - and that is obviously another issue.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:33:00 am »
Yes Liz I figured that cost was probably the reason ::) Tbh I'm happy to but oatmilk and it will be easier when we go on hols to not worry about boiling up the water etc..Grand, going to start adding it to the nutramigen today. She's still not up to having cow's milk yet :(
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
No Meg can't tolerate cows milk yet either. But she does manage the formula, and the odd yoghurt. So nearly there - but no quite.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:07:28 am »
I agree that oat milk is fine. Coconut milk is fine too and tastes lovely and has more fat - or maybe you could even mix the two? Either way sounds good to me!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:28:29 am »
get the red oatly (not organic one) as it has added calcium.  Our dietician said it's not recommended as a main milk drink for the first couple of years as it is really low in fat,etc but was happy for Murray to have it as he has always gained weight well, etc - but I can't see a problem with your LO having it as she is still getting breastmilk, etc - just make sure  gets other fats in her diets too.

we were prescribed neocate advance for when Murray was completely dairy free - he used to have it in baking, smoothies/ice lollies (pureed fruit mixed with neocate) then eventually plain neocate ... and used oat milk for in cereal etc
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!