Author Topic: I think the symptoms have changed re food intolerance reactions  (Read 2681 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Hi DS2 has multiple food intolerances and has not has a mucus napy since 12 months old .  I have been trialling small amounts of dairy and more and more salicyaltes in his diet without an bowel issues. Sometimes he would have 4 poos a day but no mucus.  Mucus in his poops was our main indicator until 12 months old.

He has been NW'ing efvery second night for 2.5 hours for months. Alot of this I put down to teething and then props.  But aft erh prop issues were fixed he continued to NW for 2,5 hours every second night or so.  But after being really fed up, a few weeks ago I took out all dairy except butter and brought him back to a level of salicylates that I know he is ok with. In my bones I felt the dairy was flaring up his reflux too.  He is starting to sttn a little more consistently now and NW's have been short in the past week or so.

I am just wondering if anyone has found that the symptoms have changed for food intolerance reactions once they are older?  I feel lost without my mucus nappies!    Food trials are alot more tricky now.  ::)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: I think the symptoms have changed re food intolerance reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:31 am »
I find we end up with a cranky, irritable and clingy girl. Mucousy poos are a thing of the past here too, though we get looser stools sometimes. I haven't done a trial on anything lately on purpose so mostly just guesswork on my part. We had a horrid NW a few nights ago where I think watermelon was the culprit.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »
Hi, I guess as K's bowel matures it can cope better with the irritant? As you know Olly never really had any phyiscal symptoms other than the NWs and yes it is very hard to know sometimes (most the time TBH) what the NW is for. hugs x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 22:23:26 pm »
Symptoms definitely can and do change as LOs mature. Take, for instance, the DS of one of my dear friends IRL (the boy will be turning 7 in July). As a baby he would projectile vomit from dairy. By a year he was no longer vomiting so she thought it was OK but he started getting near constant ear infections, then after tubes it turned to asthma, etc. Now he's off dairy (and eggs) again and the congestion is almost gone!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline EloysH

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:56:50 am »
Thanks for your replies!  I will discuss in a few weeks with my deitician too, will update.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 18:39:40 pm »
Curious about this as well since we are gearing up to do the RPAH.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 18:47:31 pm »
well if NW are an indicator myabe DS never grew out of his milk intolerance....for us it was blood in his poo and that stopped ages ago
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 19:03:28 pm »
This is really interesting as I was just coming on to ask about my DD who is having allergy testing done in a few weeks. She has a cough at sleep times, constant runny nose and a dry skin rash around her mouth. But she has also started having long NW too, so I wonder if that is related. We have never had funny poop though so not sure.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 19:09:16 pm »
for us NW is usually a precurser to something either teething, reflux or gut irritation

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline EloysH

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 22:50:34 pm »
I've had appointments with both naturopath and dietician since posting.

Both have said that the NW'ing would most likely me a food intolerance symptom since i ruled everything else out, and also because it is a common symptom.  Both said mucus nappies tends to be a <1 yr old symptom.   Both said that his doses of dairy were small, so maybe just his nerve endings were irritated - hence Nw'ing but no irritation of the gut.  I would proably beed to put him on cows milk porducts to see some gut damage - he was only having 1-2 tablespoon  of buffalo yoghurt a day.